Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
311 of 322

Rene K wrote:

Tiffany S wrote:

Rene K wrote:

Tiffany S wrote:

Upwork does hide proposals,

As far as I know, they do not hide proposals. Obvioulsly, in the list of proposals received, some are on the top and some on the bottom.

I don't see any way not to see all proposals that I receive in my client account. I can filter or sort the list of proposals that I received, but I cannot set any filters before they come.

Rene, what I see when I look at the proposals on a job I've submitted is a list with the usual roughly 1-inch stripe with the photo and basic information in it, and then at the bottom of that a link that says "other proposals". The proposals beyond that point do not show unless I click on "other proposals," and when I do the list is headed with a note telling me that the proposals below are not relevant.

That's pagination. I just checked the last job I posted, there is nothing that says that the profiles on the next page are not relevant.

Okay, there is this Best Match flag. IDK if they show only best matches on page one. It never struck me and it definitely never prevented me from browsing the list.

No, it's not. There's a "load more" button that expands the list (the closest thing to pagination I'm seeing). What I'm talking about is unrelated to "Best Match". At the very end of the last page of proposals, there's a link that says "Other proposals". When I click to expand, as I said, the text above the proposals in that section says "These proposals are either not relevant to your job, or may not meet one or more of your job qualifications like previous work history, availability, or skills."

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
312 of 322

Tiffany S wrote:

When I click to expand, as I said, the text above the proposals in that section says "These proposals are either not relevant to your job, or may not meet one or more of your job qualifications like previous work history, availability, or skills."

I'm not seeing this. So I guess that indeed, it has to do with the criteria they are referring to that don't match.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
313 of 322

Rene K wrote:

I'm not seeing this. So I guess that indeed, it has to do with the criteria they are referring to that don't match.

Apparently. I just don't know who decided on the criteria for me, because I didn't check any requirements.

Community Guru
Abinadab A Member Since: Sep 26, 2016
314 of 322

Tiffany S wrote:

"These proposals are either not relevant to your job, or may not meet one or more of your job qualifications like previous work history, availability, or skills."

In my previous experiences I found that the proposals hidden are almost always irrelevant. Usually they were proposals from cookie-cutter spammers whose profiles had absolutely nothing to do with the job posting, or a freelancer or two with extremely low JSS (like 60% and below), and they were almost certainly full-time spammers. Of course, that was in the days of free connects. But, of course, the proposals are not hidden in the real sense of the word, you can see them if you want to by clicking on the drop-down. Yes, a client can choose to hire from the "irrelevant" proposal. if they so wish.

Community Leader
Kalaani W Member Since: Jan 14, 2016
315 of 322

For the first time, i just passed 50 days without a new job . 

Note, i've completed 400+ projects in here and have 96% JSS  .

Smiley Surprised

Community Leader
Hermann M Member Since: Jul 8, 2018
316 of 322

Join the Club - I guess you are not US based either

Community Guru
317 of 322

Abinadab A wrote:

Tiffany S wrote:

"These proposals are either not relevant to your job, or may not meet one or more of your job qualifications like previous work history, availability, or skills."

In my previous experiences I found that the proposals hidden are almost always irrelevant. Usually they were proposals from cookie-cutter spammers whose profiles had absolutely nothing to do with the job posting, or a freelancer or two with extremely low JSS (like 60% and below), and they were almost certainly full-time spammers. Of course, that was in the days of free connects. But, of course, the proposals are not hidden in the real sense of the word, you can see them if you want to by clicking on the drop-down. Yes, a client can choose to hire from the "irrelevant" proposal. if they so wish.

Sure, if you know it's there. I noticed it on my third or fourth pass through the list. And, if you know enough about how poor Upwork's algorithms are to disregard their warning that the proposals are irrelevant.

None of that is really the point, though. Mine was that it's disingenuous to say "we're not hiding proposals"--when they were being archived, clients also had the ability to choose to click through to them and hire from them, yet that's being referred to as "hidden".

Community Leader
Hermann M Member Since: Jul 8, 2018
318 of 322

Sorry, but anybody in digital marketing knows that if the default is set to "Only US Freelancers" that you have to click a button if you do not just want to see US based freelancers it is a clear advantage for US freelancers versa the rest of us - fair would be if the default setting would be set to all and there was a button to click if you want US freelancers only

Murad A Member Since: Jun 2, 2019
319 of 322

Dan, was this resolved?

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
320 of 322

@ Tiffany and Rene - from the sound of it Rene's RFP was posted sometime in the past; Tiffany's RFP  was posted within the last few days.  This might explain why you are seeing different things ...

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS