🐈
» Forums » Clients » My website got Ruined
Page options
5e25332f
Community Member

My website got Ruined

I recently hired a freelancer and the work they did was terrible job, instead of changing back my work they delete their work and left my website in a mess that is unusable. What do I do I need my site back this is my only source of income. My site was perfectly fine before and I just wanted small enhancements, now its utter garbage at the moment and I can't do anything.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

Clayson:
It is completely understandable if you are disappointed.

One of the most useful things to you will be to have facts.

Whether a fact is hard to hear or not, it can still be useful. Here are some things to keep in mind:

- The freelancer you hired did a terrible job; that is not in dispute. Ultimately, whether this is due to incomptenence or maliciousness, or some other reason, it may not matter.

- Not every freelancer that a client hires on Upwork (or anywhere else) is up to the task. Not every freelancer/client pairing is a good one. It is impossible to know beforehand if a freelancer will work out for a particular project.

- You do not owe this freelancer anything. You should not feel obligated to mentor this freelancer about how to do better. You have no obligation to teach this freelancer a lesson or balance his karma. Your need to put yourself and your project first.

- If you or your project manager had a quality backup of your site as it existed before this freelancer did any work on your site, then this is not really a big deal. Simply restore your site using the most current backup.

- If you or your project manager did NOT have a quality backup of the site - located in a place inaccessible to the freelancer - then you made a tactical mistake.

- If you or your project manager did not PERSONALLY create a quality, usable backup of the site prior to this freelancer's work... that doesn't mean that one does not exist. Depending on who your web hosting provider is, it may be very easy to restore the site from their automated backups. They may be able to give you a list of 15 recent dates and ask which date you want to restore from.

- Upwork does not maintain backups of your website.

- Upwork does not restore websites.

- Upwork does not provide web development services. What Upwork provides is an opportunity for clients to find, hire, and pay freelancers. A client enters into a contract with a freelancer, not with Upwork. Upwork is not a party to that contract. Upwork is not responsible for bad work done by a client. Upwork can't really do anything about anyway, regardless of what one thinks about a freelancer's work.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
prestonhunter
Community Member

Clayson:
It is completely understandable if you are disappointed.

One of the most useful things to you will be to have facts.

Whether a fact is hard to hear or not, it can still be useful. Here are some things to keep in mind:

- The freelancer you hired did a terrible job; that is not in dispute. Ultimately, whether this is due to incomptenence or maliciousness, or some other reason, it may not matter.

- Not every freelancer that a client hires on Upwork (or anywhere else) is up to the task. Not every freelancer/client pairing is a good one. It is impossible to know beforehand if a freelancer will work out for a particular project.

- You do not owe this freelancer anything. You should not feel obligated to mentor this freelancer about how to do better. You have no obligation to teach this freelancer a lesson or balance his karma. Your need to put yourself and your project first.

- If you or your project manager had a quality backup of your site as it existed before this freelancer did any work on your site, then this is not really a big deal. Simply restore your site using the most current backup.

- If you or your project manager did NOT have a quality backup of the site - located in a place inaccessible to the freelancer - then you made a tactical mistake.

- If you or your project manager did not PERSONALLY create a quality, usable backup of the site prior to this freelancer's work... that doesn't mean that one does not exist. Depending on who your web hosting provider is, it may be very easy to restore the site from their automated backups. They may be able to give you a list of 15 recent dates and ask which date you want to restore from.

- Upwork does not maintain backups of your website.

- Upwork does not restore websites.

- Upwork does not provide web development services. What Upwork provides is an opportunity for clients to find, hire, and pay freelancers. A client enters into a contract with a freelancer, not with Upwork. Upwork is not a party to that contract. Upwork is not responsible for bad work done by a client. Upwork can't really do anything about anyway, regardless of what one thinks about a freelancer's work.

JoanneP

Hi Clayson,

I'm sorry to hear about what happened. I checked, and I can see that our team is already assisting you with this issue directly via ticket. They will update you on the same ticket to provide more information. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths