cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a client's point of view

Highlighted
Mary Candice G Member Since: Sep 10, 2008
1 of 8
I'm just wondering why other clients here on odesk, like to find "high quality" freelancers and yet they offer just $1 or below? You have got to be kidding! I'd like to reach out to other freelancers not to patronize these clients.
Mary G. Content/Social Media Manager
Highlighted
Bray R Member Since: Dec 15, 2013
2 of 8
Mary, there's a common quote "you get what you pay for", but I think, and especially in the case of a widely varying landscape as a cloud based freelancer community such as oDesk - it is somewhat subjective. Do you think those who are willing to perform a service for $1 consider themselves to be "low quality"? I know of CEOs of Corporations who earn Millions who actually are unscrupulous and corrupt. They don't always earn more money due to their "quality" per se, but rather a whole host of other factors. You may not be prepared to earn $1 for a task, but I don't think it's your place to question the quality of those who are. Nor is it reasonable to ask why some clients seek low cost, high quality output. Well known brands are made for significantly less cost than they are sold for, so cost-quality is not always an absolute measure. I'm both a client and a freelancer. From my side - as a client - I always seek high quality contractors. As a contractor - I offer my services at varying rates, depending on the needs of the client. Charging one client $1 for a task that I can earn $2 from another client for a similar task does not alter my output or quality - it's somewhat a function of supply and demand. If I only provided good quality when I charged 'more' then I'm already doing a disservice to those who can only afford less. The market exists because it works. Those who charge less and do great quality work will always get more work than those who don't. I note you contract out for over $10 per hour, yet have previously worked for almost half of that. Did your quality of performance drop? If not, then you have your answer. You have your parameters, and these should be respected. Others have theirs - and I put it to you that they are deserving of the same respect and work opportunities. Clients too should be free to respect those who agree to their terms without expecting that they'll be short changed, per se. I wish you well!
Highlighted
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
3 of 8
oDesk and similar sites have a reputation among people who want to be their own bosses as a way of getting cheap labor. I am not saying all clients on here are looking for cheap labor, so please don't take this the wrong way if you are a good client who respects quality and respects freelancers. However - if you decide that you don't want to work at a 9 to 5 job anymore, but you have little or no capital, no investors and don't really have all the skills or all the time needed - if you do an internet search you will find loads of websites telling you that you can be a successful entrepreneur by hiring cheap third world labor on websites like oDesk.
Highlighted
Marvel J Member Since: Jun 30, 2011
4 of 8
Ha! " Cheap Third world labour!" Who said leaving in third world countries is cheap? Myth. True, wages are low that's why people are soaked in poverty, forcing them to accept whatever someone could offer as long as they have a job and earning something. It's really sad. Believe it or leave it, if you choose to eat well in Third world countries, $100 will last for 3 days. Hey, the restaurant just up the road can take all that with 4 meals. My sister is visiting for the first time from the UK and she think we are super humans after £100 went out to groceries that couldn't last a week! "Welcome to my world" I said. The thought of moving back to UK did crossed my mind. Maintaining a certain lifestyle here, is either you engage in some serious illegal activities, have several rich Uncles or work 10 times hard. I am just grateful odesk is my not my main source of income.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Marissa S Member Since: Feb 6, 2008
5 of 8
I'm not a client.. but in my experience - you don't simply sell your services, but you sell your clients on the 'perceived value' of your services.. for the same reason that many are grabbing an iPhone when there are cheaper alternatives. Also, you've got to attract the right clients as well. Many freelancers love to say they offer 'affordable, discounted, cheap' services... and so they attract clients who simply love to pay less Smiley Wink
Highlighted
Najie B Member Since: Oct 8, 2013
6 of 8
Maybe, I think the best thing to do is to ignore those job post offering lower than the rates that you are expecting for. As I can see, still it is a case to case basis. Maybe quality of work never change if you screen and hired a lowest bidder. On my side, I can work $4/hour but, again it is a case to case basis also, if a job is just simple then I'll get it at $1.20-$2.00/hour excluding the fees. Since for now we can't do nothing about it. Maybe let's avoid those job post. I am not an expert in here. What I only wrote was my opinion. Best Regards, Najie
Highlighted
Richard M Member Since: Feb 24, 2013
7 of 8
This is a major problem with clients here on Odesk and other freelance job sites. Frankly, it's not going to change. Too many clients are now conditioned to having third-world "contractors" working for $1 or less per hour. The only thing to do, in my opinion, is don't put all of your eggs in the Odesk basket. -Rich
Highlighted
Rebecca H Member Since: Aug 27, 2008
8 of 8
If contractors won't work for unreasonable rates, clients won't post jobs at unreasonable rates. I own a U.S. company, I work here at oDesk for U.S. rates, and I pay U.S. rates. It's not a flaw in oDesk. It's an open marketplace.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS