🐈
» Forums » Clients » Need help!!!
Page options
88d1d94e
Community Member

Need help!!!

My freelancer was not a professional. Gave me work that was terribly written when he claimed to have exceptional skills. I contacted him and asked if I would be able to cancel this project without being charged and he assured me there was no pressure to work with him and the refund would be issued. I have screenshots. Now he has filed a dispute but when I try to address the dispute and submit my argument it will not load. I’m worried that in 5 days of me not being able to send my comments, they will give the freelancer the money that’s on hold. Who do I talk to if the system is not working??

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

11 REPLIES 11
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Now he has filed a dispute but when I try to address the dispute and submit my argument it will not load. I’m worried that in 5 days of me not being able to send my comments, they will give the freelancer the money that’s on hold. Who do I talk to if the system is not working?"

It sounds like there may be an actual physical problem with how a form is working. I recommend that you clear your browser cache. Also, try using a different browser entirely.

Also:

Did you receive an email message from an Upwork support person? You may be able to respond to that email message rather than using the dispute for.

Or, as I descibe below, you don't even need to participate in the dispute process. You can just let this go.

re: "Need help!!!"

Jade:
Relax.

I can assure you that you do not actually need help, much less help with three explanation points.

If you are new to using Upwork, what you need is ADVICE.

As a client, you have ALL THE POWER to handle things like this on your own, without needing to rely on other people to help you.

re: "My freelancer was not a professional."

Most Upwork freelancers are very professional.

As a client, I have hired over 100 freelancers on Upwork. Most have been great to work with. But not ALL of them were.

You do not need to be surprised or shocked if you hire a freelancer who doesn't live up to your expectations.

The good thing for you is this:
You don't owe a freelancer like that ANY of your time.

You don't need to continue working with ANY freelancer disappoints you.

Compare this to other situations, such as if this freelancer was your child. You can't just kick your child to the curb if he disappoints you. Or what if you were a teacher, and this is a student in your class and their writing is terrible? It would be your JOB to help them.

But as a client on Upwork?

You are not that freelancer's parent or teacher or mentor or pastor or rabbi or anything of the sort.

You don't owe that freelancer your time or energy.

I recommend that you put yourself and your project first.

Just stop working with that freelancer. It's not your job to train them how to be a better writer.

How much money was involved in ths contract, anyway? Based on your discription, it sounds like this was a fixed-price contract, and it sounds like you tried get money back. That is usually just a waste of time.

The best business decision in situations like this is to simply release any remaining escrow funds and close the contract. A freelancer CAN NOT DISPUTE ANYTHING if you do it that way. In fact, there is nothing the freelancer can do to block such an action by the client. Then you don't need to waste any of your time dealing with the contract any more. You can simply move on and focus on your project, with the help of the top performers on your freelancing team.

re: "Now he has filed a dispute..."

Well, yes... ANY time you hire a freelancer using a fixed-price contract, if you try to get money back that was funded in escrow, the possibility exists that the freelancer might dispute a client's refund request. If you want to avoid that, then you can:

a) use hourly contracts
[or]

b) make sure you don't fund escrow payments that you aren't willing to lose

Basically: If you want to use fixed-price contracts, that's fine. But never fund an esrow payment that you are not prepared to lose forever. Because the freelancer might complete the task, and then you're supposed to release the money to her. Or the freelancer might do the task in a way that you don't love, and you still may need to pay her. What if the freelancer does a terrible job, but disputes your refund request? You might never get that money back. So the simple thing is to just be prepared for all funded escrow payments to go to the freelancer.

If you are working with a freelancer you don't know well, then rather than funding $1000 for ALL steps in the project... fund $50 for the FIRST STEP only. And if you don't like that freelancer's work, then the most money you can lose is $50.

It was 60 American 80$ canadian. It was for a fixed price of 3 short
stories that didn’t even make sense they were made for children but had
violence... did not follow a description at all.

Jade:

Close the contract. Release the $60.

Don't use those stories. Don't hire that freelancer again.

Next time you hire freelancers, don't hire them to do three stories. Hire them to do just one. And if you like their work, hire them again to do more work.

Writing is subjective. If I use Upwork to hire writers, I don't expect to find a good fit every time. I assume that I may need to hire more an one writer in order to find what I need when the content is highly subjective.

So even tho the freelancer lied and promised a refund I can’t get him in
trouble? And rightfully get my money? Now that the contract was cancelled
he can’t even go back and work on it like he should be if I’m having to pay

You are putting the freelancer's needs first. You are thinking like a pastor or mentor or parent. You are trying to help the freelancer do the right thing. You are trying to teach the freelancer lessons in morality and ethics.

Don't do that.

Put yourself and your project first.

Think like a businessperson.

You don't owe this freelancer any more of your time and effort. He isn't worth it.

re: "Now that the contract was cancelled he can’t even go back and work on it like he should be if I’m having to pay"

You don't want this freelancer working on your project.

There is nothing that this freelancer has to offer you that is worth your time or consideration. Nothing you do is going to transform this freelancer into the kind of writer that you need.

I really don’t care about the freelancers takeaway. I simply want my money
back for absolutely nothing being done. I got scammed completely. I was
promised I would be issued a refund. I simply got trash work and the
freelancer even agreed. The stories dont even have the same characters
throughout etc. So what I’m hearing is, even tho I was scammed by someone
who knew they’d get the money in the end, there’s nothing I can do? Simply
because upwork has a useless system that doesn’t even work when I try to
resolve a dispute. What a joke.
petra_r
Community Member

You may need to get Support to help you with your dispute. Have you tried using a different browser or a hard refresh at least? It sounds like a browser issue!

In general, you need to manage your expectations. Like everywhere in life, you get what you pay for, and when your budget is very low, you will have to adjust your expectations accordingly.

88d1d94e
Community Member

I do not have to adjust my expectations. I would have paid for the work and
moved on but I was told a refund was totally acceptable and was promised.
Upwork needs to make sure that if freelancers are making promises to return
funds, they should do so or eliminate these scammers from the platform.

I have tried 2 different computers and 3 phones. I have left 5 voice
messages to the help center in California and I have sent countless emails
to support. No one has contacted me in 4 days. This platform is awful and
the advice I’m getting is not addressing the issue. The issue is, I was
told I’d get a refund. And now My money is being taken with no chance of me
fighting for it

Hi Jade,

I am sorry for the inconvenience this has caused. We will look into this further and will get back to you once we have more information.

Thank you,

~ Nikola
Upwork
88d1d94e
Community Member

Thank you for your response!!
Latest Articles
Learning Paths