🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Need to close a project - freelancer has ...
Page options
6d7a4a5c
Community Member

Need to close a project - freelancer has not responded

Hello, 

I have come to terms with my freelancer not being able to complete a contract. She has not responded for over a month. The job is not completed yet and I hope to close the contract however I need to ensure that the remaining money in escrow does not get released to her. 

Would the first step be to ask her to close the contract on her side before taking further action? What would the next step be if she does again not respond? 

Thanks,

Chloe

3 REPLIES 3
prestonhunter
Community Member

You will close the contract yourself.

When you do so, you will see a button that allows you to EDIT the amount of money to be released.

You may edit the amount to any amount of money, including zero dollars.

Then you will proceed with finalizing the closure of the contract.

If you edited the amount of money so that it is LESS THAN the amount of money in escrow, a "refund request" will automatically be sent to the freelancer.

She already discussued this with you, so she will click a button to ACCEPT the refund request.

Your money will be put back onto your credit card within 5 business days.

If the freelancer DOES NOTHING then after 7 days, the refund request will automatically go through.

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211062058-Get-an-Escrow-Refund

Preston H wrote:

When you do so, you will see a button that allows you to EDIT the amount of money to be released. You may edit the amount to any amount of money, including zero dollars.

That is such a cumbersome way to go about. Why not simply choose "Pay nothing and request a refund" while closing the contract.

Preston H wrote:

She already discussued this with you, so she will click a button to ACCEPT the refund request.

Your money will be put back onto your credit card within 5 business days.

It hasn't been discussed. The freelancer has been missing in action, which is the reason for closing the contract in the first place.

Petra:

You asked a good question.

My instructions to the client will lead her to that very option: the option to request ALL escrow money back.

The client will ALSO have the option to release PART of the money in escrow, if she wants to.

Which would be the right thing to do if the freelancer has indeed finished part of the remaining task.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths