🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Need to pause contract due to illness but...
Page options
65035c5f
Community Member

Need to pause contract due to illness but unresponsive contractor

I am very ill with a series condition and have been signed up for a hourly based contract based upon milestones for certain hours. The contractor has failed to make the functions for the number of hours and I had to put the contract on pause.

In the meantime, while I try to figure out what my next step is he is continuing to work and not acknowledging the fact that I'm not feeling well and need to take some time to heal. All work has been considered manual hours of which I did not get a letter till after I started the contract. This is alarming and before things get out of hand I need to ask or speak with someone that has some ideas on how to handle the situation. If I wasn't sick I would be able to think better but I've been very clear about this and the contractor just does not want to hear it and just wants to plow ahead on his own terms according to the previous set stages – status reset because as most of us clients need milestones and make sure that certain jobs are completed at certain times. The deliverables are now way outside the scope of work and I need some assistance ASAP but can't get through to anyone on the company site. Any and all help others welcomed.

5 REPLIES 5
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm sorry to hear about your health issues and I wish you a speedy recovery, Charles.

I have escalated your issue to our team. They will reach out to you with more information as soon as possible and further assist you with this concern.

Thank you for your patience

~ Bojan
Upwork
tta192
Community Member

Hourly contracts are not based on milestones. If the contract is paused you don't need to worry about the freelancer logging any more time against it. Just ask him to hand over all work and continue the project when you recover.

prestonhunter
Community Member

A client may pause a contract for ANY reason.

Illness. Vacation. Restructuring. A whim.

A client has the freedom to tell the freelancer why he is pausing.

But he doesn't have to. He can simply click the "Pause" button.

As a client, if you pause the contract, it is IMPOSSIBLE for the freelancer to bill any additional time.

But you are talking about 2 separate issues:
- you don't feel well

- you are not satisfied with how the freelancer is working right now

Totally unrelated. If you were 100% healthy, you would still have a reason to pause the contract if the freelancer's work does not please you.

If the work is AWESOME, but you don't like the way the freelancer communicates (or fails to communicate), then you could pause the contract.

If you have questions about what to do now, feel free to ask right here in this thread.

What is the easiest way to switch from a hourly contract to a milestone/fixed-price based model? Do I need it and the current contract and start up a new contract?

For some reason in the old interface from three years ago there was an easy switch to fixed-price button and I believe it's been moved since then.

Any and all thoughts are appreciated.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Charles, 

I'm sorry but this feature has already been discontinued. It is no longer possible to convert a contract from hourly to fixed-price (or vice versa) after hiring. If you are considering this, be sure to come to an agreement with your freelancer on the new payment terms before making any changes. 

To change the type of contract, simply end the job and rehire the freelancer, changing the offer terms to an hourly or fixed-price contract, as appropriate. If the current contract is fixed-price, you should complete the current milestone before ending the contract. You'll both have 14 days to leave feedback on the ended contract.

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths