Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Negative Feedback as a Result of a Dispute

Community Guru
Claudia Z Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
11 of 20

Rene K wrote

But abusing the system as it is designed right now is definitely doable. You perform badly, the other party disputes the payment, you threat them with a poor feedback and If they stand their ground, you retaliate. Period.

How do you know 100% who is right or wrong if a dispute does not rule a full refund?

There are other measures in place to prevent freelancers perform badly, get paid and threat a client with bad feedback. Not only the JSS but the risk of being suspended if there is a trend of jobs with bad outcome.

Community Guru
Claudia Z Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
12 of 20

The job will no longer appear under your work history if the entire contract amount was refunded to you after the dispute. It might take some time to go away.

You can fill a ticket and ask if possible to have the contract visibility set to private. Don't know exactly which "private" option removes entirely the job from a client's work history (the job title/feedback can still be seen on the freelancer profile even if set private).

Joey R Member Since: Nov 19, 2016
13 of 20

The problem is, I kept this team months longer than I should have.  I paid them for nothing, and only got a refund for the last invoice.  So, the feedback will stay because the entire project was not cancelled.  Yes, I paid them for nothing, received nothing, paid upwork fees, followed Upwork's dispute process, and was rewarded with negative feedback.

Unbelievable.

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
14 of 20

I find it totally unacceptable that the party who lose a dispute is allowed to leave a feedback for the winning party. It makes no sense.

If the party lost the dispute, it means that they were wrong in the first place. They will definitely want to retaliate by leaving a bad feedback for the other party.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
15 of 20
Yeah, your exactly right in the assessment of switching client and freelancer. That proves that the policy is really that bad.

It's an easy fix, but it appears they don't care.
Rachel S Member Since: May 26, 2017
16 of 20

Hi Joey,

Did this ever get actioned by an Upwork representative? I'm in the same situation (but the client is the one at fault and I raised the dispute). Is there now a mechanism in place where the losing party cannot submit feedback if the dispute ends and you win?

Thanks,

Rachel

Ace Contributor
John S Member Since: Jun 26, 2015
17 of 20

I agree Upwork's feedback system is not objective. I've had freelancers leave me negative feedback out of the blue. There should be a way to dispute such negative feedback to determine whether it corresponds to the objective truth or the other party was just having a bad day (or bad outcome in a dispute).

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
18 of 20

re: "Did this ever get actioned by an Upwork representative? I'm in the same situation (but the client is the one at fault and I raised the dispute). Is there now a mechanism in place where the losing party cannot submit feedback if the dispute ends and you win?"

There is no system in place that prevents negative feedback from being left in cases where there are disputes.

This is by design.

Negative feedback may well be associated with disputes.

Remember: Upwork DOES NOT WANT freelancers or clients to engage in disputes. They are not inclined to rescue you from all negative repercussion that arise from these cases.

As both freelancer and client, I use specific strategies that allow me to use Upwork without ever needing to be party to a dispute. If you want to avoid negative feedback associated with disputed contracts, then you should use similar strategies.

BEST ANSWER
19 of 20

This response is absolutely ridiculous.  Why?  Because the approach "Upwork doesn't want their users to use the dispute resolution process" is another way of saying, "Upwork doesn't want to waste money on their customers."  

The sad part is, the proper resolution to this issue is simple: Don't allow the losing side of a dispute to leave a rating.  Yes, it's that easy.  Why they don't implement the rule is beyond me.  They'd rather have unhappy customers than to implement a reasonable rule that satisfies all involved.

Now what do you have?  You have people like me who keep freelancers longer than we should and leave them feedback ratings that are untrue so we don't have to deal with situations like this.

It's a bad policy.  Period.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
20 of 20

@Joey R wrote:

This response is absolutely ridiculous.  Why?  Because the approach "Upwork doesn't want their users to use the dispute resolution process" is another way of saying, "Upwork doesn't want to waste money on their customers."  

The sad part is, the proper resolution to this issue is simple: Don't allow the losing side of a dispute to leave a rating.  Yes, it's that easy.  Why they don't implement the rule is beyond me.  They'd rather have unhappy customers than to implement a reasonable rule that satisfies all involved.

Now what do you have?  You have people like me who keep freelancers longer than we should and leave them feedback ratings that are untrue so we don't have to deal with situations like this.

It's a bad policy.  Period.

Joey, it would be helpful if you pressed the "quote" button in your replies so that we can follow your post. Whose response is "absolutely ridiculous"?

And why do you keep on freelancers longer than you should and give them untrue ratings?

This is contradictory to your OP.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS