cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Negative Feedback as a Result of a Dispute

simona-mirea
Simona M Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
21 of 36
He is responding to Preston. And Joey is right, the system is ridiculous and unfair. You do not encourage disputes because of lost money, ok, is better to have a dispute tax, but build a fair system. Upwork has some very good points, but the ones like this case are just abusive and unfair. First of all a Community manager should represent customers interests in the Upwork meetings, should talk to a customer manager if a situation is unfair. And it is clear in this case that in the situation of a lost dispute the one who loses it, should not be aloud to leave a starred feedback. He can say a few words if he wants, but he should not be able to impact the other’s party score. The one who won the dispute should not be forced to find ways around the system, he pays fees and he should be able to use a non-abusive system. And I know other cases where feedback is a problem. I had a customer representative tell me to close old contracts no one cared about, because they take my score down and my score was top rated. I closed 7 such contracts (gathered in 3 years) and I became not so top rated, because the contracts counted as negative and it was really not the case, but upwork did not even leave the clients leave feedback to me when i closed the contract. I have contacted them to leave feedback and everyone who still had access to the account did leave the feedback, SO CLEARLY THE FEEDBACK SYSTEM IS created more based on the financial requirements of the platform and less based on what is fair and a good practice. It is a general issue and I took it to all the customer care managers and they could agree with me, but no one did anything to change the platform. Same case for Joey here. His case is an example of abuse from the freelancer to the client. We can all agree that an upset party can be dishonest and do anything to force the other party to refund the contract. This system was made by humans as well and as smart as they are and we appreciate the good things they did, they are definitely not all mighty and should listen to feedback from users. Not caring about your users feedback and needs is a sign of abuse as well.
tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
22 of 36

Simona, there is no such thing as losing a dispute on Upwork. In a dispute, all the Upwork employee can do is try to help negotiate an agreement. They cannot and do not make a ruling as to who was right or wrong. That happens only through paid arbitration, which there is no indication happened here. 

mctimon
Tim A Member Since: Nov 10, 2017
23 of 36

Tiffany S wrote:

there is no such thing as losing a dispute on Upwork.

In a "binary" dispute, such as a decision to refund or not (after freelancer has decided not to refund), the dispute can be won or lost depending on the final action taken.

• If Upwork refunds, the client wins.
  • If Upwork does not refund, freelancer wins.
  • In a situation where the funds have already been released from escrow, if nothing is done, freelancer wins.
  • If the freelancer is suspended from the platform and the client is compensated, the client wins.

The outcome is so specific that one party would either lose money or keep it, regardless of the outcome of the dispute resolution. Especially when one side is for the status quo, in which case "do nothing" means they win.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
24 of 36

Tim A wrote:

Tiffany S wrote:

there is no such thing as losing a dispute on Upwork.

In a "binary" dispute, such as a decision to refund or not (after freelancer has decided not to refund), the dispute can be won or lost depending on the final action taken.

• If Upwork refunds, the client wins.
  • If Upwork does not refund, freelancer wins.

In fixed rate contract disputes, Upwork do not make a decision. They only provide a non-binding suggestion.

What in the world do you mean by "binary dispute?"

3814fc79
Joey R Member Since: Nov 19, 2016
25 of 36
Binary is a result that is either true or false. Yes or no. On or off. There are no other choices. One party has to win a dispute.
simona-mirea
Simona M Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
26 of 36
Ok Tiffany, thanks for the clarification. In conclusion one party (the one Upwork decides) gets the payment, so the other party should not be able to leave a feedback that can influence the score. Period
lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
27 of 36

Simona M wrote:
Ok Tiffany, thanks for the clarification. In conclusion one party (the one Upwork decides) gets the payment, so the other party should not be able to leave a feedback that can influence the score. Period

The contract is closed and feedback given before a dispute is filed. The client has no idea if the freelancer will dispute at this point. They might not even know the freelancer can dispute. So the end result of a dispute isn't factored in at this point.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
28 of 36

Joey R wrote:
Binary is a result that is either true or false. Yes or no. On or off. There are no other choices. One party has to win a dispute.

You're forgetting the third option of arbitration where you can win or lose however much the arbiter decides. You don't necessarily win all your money or lose all your money in this case.

ajolly123
Alexander J Member Since: Oct 29, 2020
29 of 36
This does speak to the bigger issue of people placing too much weight on these scores. On Upwork (and other sites) 5 stars seems to be the go to rating if there wasn’t anything particularly bad with the freelancer/client. However every now and then you get someone who sees 5 stars as being almost unattainable (like the teachers who didn’t believe in giving 100%). This doesn’t affect established freelancers as they have a large number of projects with good feedback but if you’re just starting out and it’s your second review it’s gonna hurt you a lot more. I’m not saying there is anything Upwork can do about it it’s up to the users to not place as much weight on those ratings.
pennyswift
Penny S Member Since: Jan 11, 2016
30 of 36

That's interesting Simona. I have been top rated @ 100% for years and recently closed old contracts - BOOM my rating dropped to 90%. I have  contacted customer service twice and they couldn't explain. What I found really strange was that it happened after I got three new longterm jobs and the same week two clients left me 5 star feedback! 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS