🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Negative feedback about freelancer not sh...
Page options
riparian
Community Member

Negative feedback about freelancer not showing

After spending US$42,000 and investing 2 years of my time  I stopped a contract because of ineptitude of the freelancer

I left negative feedback to help protect other employers but now find the feedback is not showing with "No Feedback given" being displayed

Before starting the contract I was curiouse as to  why there were other employers that had spent around $40,000 or more all with "No Feedback given"

Given that my negative feedback has been blocked to protect the big income earning freelancer I find it not believable that the other employres would spend tens of thousands of dollars and give no feedback.

If in fact the other high dollar value employers have their feedback bocked then I have been mislead by upwork and would not have employed the freelancer company in the first place  and then  lost all of my money.

I note that only smaller jobs done by this freelancer, all with 5 star,  are showing

Please explain why my feedback and that of the others is not being displayed.

Contract ID
51 REPLIES 51

@Gerry S wrote:

Familiarity breeds comtempt.

The longer the contract, the more the freelancer is taken for granted.

No raises, no perks. Just whining. Time to move on.

This is an unfair generalisation. I review the rates of my freelancers at least once a year (and will review their rate whenever they ask), as well as paying bonuses at certain times of the year (like Christmas) and whenever one is justified for performance.

@Gerry S wrote:

Familiarity breeds comtempt.

The longer the contract, the more the freelancer is taken for granted.

No raises, no perks. Just whining. Time to move on.

Wow. Seriously? This makes no sense. Clients value long term contractors they can trust, and freelancers value long contracts with good clients. In same cases, a new job might be required to cover new scope of work, which might mean an increase fees, but that's up to the client and freelancer.  It's that simple.

No need to negatively dramatize this process.

I've read all your answers....I can't believe what I'm reading.   I came here to find someone to help our web.  And I'm treated as thief because some one from your platform is cheating your system.  I did not care about the what share goes to the Upwork.  I wanted a competent enployee.  Maybe you should be more critical about who can apply for jobs.

Do you think by the way you answer me,   we will come back here to hire?   LOL

I did not close my account yet because I want to see if there is other freelancer that think differently.  

@Sylvain C wrote:

I've read all your answers....I can't believe what I'm reading.   I came here to find someone to help our web.  And I'm treated as thief because some one from your platform is cheating your system.  I did not care about the what share goes to the Upwork.  I wanted a competent enployee.  Maybe you should be more critical about who can apply for jobs.

I did not close my account yet because I want to see if there is other freelancer that think differently.  

Sylvain,

This is your first post on this thread:

"Sorry, i might not be in right subject.   But I can't find any help.

I'm stuck in something similar as a client.  I did not know how upwork really worked. I post a job and someone replied.  Now I realize that he went under the upwork structure too get paid direct.  After 10 month of progress but not too many hours, just before going live ''Hell break loose'' bug over bugs.  Started to do a bit of digging on the freelancer's profile.  None of his portfolio are real and he has been picking jobs none stop since he was hired.  

How can I trust any one in here now ? I tought that that this site would do a bit of research before letting someone post as freelance."

From this, I understand that you did not bother to read how Upwork operates before hiring a freelancer who wanted to work off the platform. It is not clear from this post if you agreed to pay the freelancer off site or if you set up a clearly defined contract through Upwork, and your freelancer failed to deliver.   

But you then say

"I did not try to cheat the system...I got contacted by the freelancer. As a first time user, and NOW LAST time user.  We just continu the communication. 

If the Upwork freelancer  community cheats and goes outside the box,  Is NOT the fault of the employers who uses Upwork once in while.   

I feel like a lot of people here a fast blaming the customer. 

The Upwork community on the whole does NOT go outside the box. However, you did and you cheated the system and it is your fault. You went along with the freelancer and whether you are a first-time user or not, you should have read Upwork’s terms of service, that clearly says neither client nor freelancer can circumnavigate the system if the contact between client and freelancer has been made through Upwork. So both you and the freelancer should have your accounts suspended.

Then you say: 

"I've read all your answers....I can't believe what I'm reading.   I came here to find someone to help our web.  And I'm treated as thief because some one from your platform is cheating your system.  I did not care about the what share goes to the Upwork.  I wanted a competent enployee.  Maybe you should be more critical about who can apply for jobs.

I did not close my account yet because I want to see if there is other freelancer that think differently." 

I doubt if Upwork, or any honest freelancer, or honest client on this site cares what you believe. You tried to cheat Upwork. And I am surprised your account has not already been suspended.

For the record this site is about “freelancing” not about employees. If you want an employee then you have come to the wrong place. As to your coming back here, I very much doubt that you will be given that opportunity.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Again customer bashing,

Do you think , I'D be stupid enough to come here an give my opinion if I'd  ''cheated'' Upwork willingly.

I came here to look for an 'employee' I meant someone to work on my web site.  Sorry english is not my first language. I tought if I pay someone you became employee.

If someone from the Upwork admin want to continue a constructive discussion they can contact directly.  

sam-sly
Community Member

But you are *not* a customer since Upwork only earns revenue from the fee they charge clients when they open an Upwork contract and the 20% they take from the freelancer's earnings.  That is why paying or accepting payment off the platform is a serious terms and conditions violation for both clients and freelancers.

If you had followed the terms and conditions, it is quite possible Upwork may have sided with you since they tend to side with clients in many situations. But you are not a client, and the people who insist on taking work off platform are cheating Upwork and they often cheat the other person. Every day freelancers post how they were scammed by "clients" who promised to pay through PayPal.  I am not sure how you consider yourself an Upwork customer since you never actually bought a service through Upwork. 

I am not saying this to bash you, it is more for any other new clients who may be reading who are thinking about making the same mistake. It sounds like you already know you made a mistake. If you correctly used the platform, there may have been something Upwork could do AND you would have the opportunity to leave feedback on the freelancer's profile to warn other clients.

I do suggest reporting this freelancer to Upwork, as they might want to suspend him/her for the terms of service violation and the fake profile.

@Sylvain C wrote:

Again customer bashing,

Do you think , I'D be stupid enough to come here an give my opinion if I'd  ''cheated'' Upwork willingly.

I came here to look for an 'employee' I meant someone to work on my web site.  Sorry english is not my first language. I tought if I pay someone you became employee.

If someone from the Upwork admin want to continue a constructive discussion they can contact directly.  

petra_r
Community Member

@Sylvain C wrote:

Unless someone held a gun to your head you willingly defrauded Upwork and trying to get Upwork to fix things for you when your own behaviour led to a bad outcome when your accomplice didn't play ball is ridiculous.

bf2d57fe
Community Member

I agree with you, I just experienced the same thing as I just gave my feedback on one of the Freelancers I hired and rated as honestly as I could and gave her honest 2.5 stars for doing horrible work I just put in the garbage...  I was nice enough to pay freelancer crappy work...    But if Upwork, does not post my feedback or my review...  why should I be nice and pay the freelancer if cannot get fair shake more maybe we should take Upwork to court.

I went back to the Freelances work history and looked over what she claims to have done...  I not so sure about that either as I started doing some investigation.   This why Upwork need to let us post an honest review of your/their employees. 

Wow...  I feel for you...  have a large investment in time and money in someone you built trust, and working relationship with Upwork freelancer and Upwork and they both treat you like you are the bad person.     That is not correct...        it may be time to move on or sue up work for miss leading the Employers.       We deserve better...  

Michael Y wrote:

I agree with you, I just experienced the same thing as I just gave my feedback on one of the Freelancers I hired and rated as honestly as I could and gave her honest 2.5 stars for doing horrible work I just put in the garbage...  I was nice enough to pay freelancer crappy work...    But if Upwork, does not post my feedback or my review...  why should I be nice and pay the freelancer if cannot get fair shake more maybe we should take Upwork to court.'

Sounds like you're another one who didn't bother to learn how the platform works and so is now up in arms about an imaginary conspiracy. Upwork feedback is double blind. That means that your feedback doesn't show up until either the freelancer leaves feedback for you or the 14-day window to do so expires. 

I went back to the Freelances work history and looked over what she claims to have done...  I not so sure about that either as I started doing some investigation.   This why Upwork need to let us post an honest review of your/their employees. 

Freelancers are not Upwork employees. Freelancers are Upwork's customers, paying Upwork a percentage of fees generated in exchange for use of the platform to connect with clients, invoicing, payment processing and other services that streamline freelancing.

Wow...  I feel for you...  have a large investment in time and money in someone you built trust, and working relationship with Upwork freelancer and Upwork and they both treat you like you are the bad person.     That is not correct...        it may be time to move on or sue up work for miss leading the Employers.       We deserve better...  

You'd want to do some research on sanctions for frivolous litigation before bringing that claim--or, just take a minute or two to learn a tiny bit about how ratings work on Upwork.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Michael, 

Are you referring to your recently closed contract? When you close a contract, you and your freelancer have 14-days to leave feedback for each other. Since the feedback system is double-blind, the feedback will only show up on the freelancer's profile once you leave feedback for each other, or once the 14-day feedback period is up, whichever comes first. 

The contract was closed on 3-May which is why the feedback is not yet showing on your freelancer's profile. You may read more about it here.

~ Avery
Upwork
8fc07ba4
Community Member

I also reported another scammer and upwork failed to tale action. This person asked to be paid in advance and told me to me to approve the payment from escrow before the work is completed. He seems to be rushing so as to be paid and showed all evidences ftom messages where he requested to be paid upfront and payment must be approved from escrow. I told him that is against upwork policy. How can you be paid without doing the work. 

Upwork has failed to investigate him because this man has taken advantages.

Hi Brad,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I checked and it looks like you already created a support ticket for reporting the freelancer you are referring to. If you need any further assistance or if you have further questions feel free to follow up on your ticket and our team will be happy to assist you further. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths