🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: New Freelancer
Page options
a5ddb6db
Community Member

New Freelancer

I hired a freelancer to do some wordpress changes to my site.

I chose someone who was new to upwork and had a lower rate - thinking that I could help the freelancer get started.  The examples of work she made clear were sites that she had worked on, but not created herself.

She spent a very lime trying to access my site and gave me her email address so that I could send the password to her directly, which I did not do.

Late last week she did some work, but did not follow instructions and spent a long time doing something that should have taken an hour or two. The bill went to $125 and she then went on working, after asking me to extend her hours, which I did not.

I paused the job.  I had a similar experience 2 years ago in which freelancer did some electronic circuitry but then never finished it and then filed for $300 and paid beyond what was agreed on.

I contact Upwork and they immediately suspend the freelancer who was in a gang in German who was doing this to others.  I was refunded and he was banned, but they said to be careful as these people will sign up under new names and start all over again.

I have contacted the freelancer 4 times asking that she agree to reduce the charge before I complain to Upwork.  She refuses to respond and instead, if she responds at all tells me to increase the number of billing hours for the overtime work she is doing.

What is my next step, please?  Suggestions, please.  I have had quite a bit of work done by freelancers and value their work, but this one is a new one on me.

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

It is not clear to me why you are investing so much time and effort into this underperforming freelancer.

You have no obligation whatsoever to her.

She is not your responsibility. I think you should put your project first. Just end things and work with people who can genuinely help you with your project.

lysis10
Community Member

I hope you disabled the account you gave her to work on your WordPress site before you start threatening not to pay her.

a5ddb6db
Community Member

I paused the contract - I didn’t threaten rather I suggested that we compromise on an amount, as suggested by UPWork.
lysis10
Community Member

noel j wrote:
I paused the contract - I didn’t threaten rather I suggested that we compromise on an amount, as suggested by UPWork.

Yes, and I hope you deactivated their account before you did this. 

Latest Articles
Learning Paths