cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New fees for Freelancers

Highlighted
Gary C Member Since: Jul 1, 2019
1 of 36
I am a Customer who is assessing the impact of the new freelancer fees. I am >$10,000 with same Client but I have some concerns for any new Clients. Here are my points.
1. Small fee for applying for a job is great. It weeds out time wasters and makes my life easier.
2. 20% for freelancer for under $500 is too steep. It is the end client who will pay via mark up and will discourage new entrants.
2. 10% for freelancer for under $10,000 wont work. Client will be charged extra by freelancer, so now we post a $10,000 job for $1,000 and do the $9,000 offline. Multiple milestones paid upfront will mitigate risk.
3. I think PayPal Buyer protection fees will mitigate any residual risk.
4. Once freelancer and client become confident then both will completely bypass Upwork.
5. You Guys really need to think again.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
2 of 36

And that, Gary, is prt of the reason the rest of us who don't cheat Upwork out of its fees pay such a high rate.

Highlighted
3 of 36
I pay 2.75% and Client is out of scope of new structure. I'm happy with that but I wouldn't take on a new freelancer via upwork. That's my choice.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
4 of 36

I honestly don't think that clients are being charged too much on Upwork; quite the opposite. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
5 of 36

1. Agreed

2. I can neither agree or disagree to this, I understand that a lot of jobs don't get to $500.00 with a client ever, but those are not mine.  What I think it suggests is that Upwork would prefer to have more jobs that are > $500.00.

2...a?  I think it works fine.  Honestly 10% is nothing, for example an recruiter in my industry will charge easily 1/3 on top of a project forever.  To me that is Upwork's money, I don't even think about it.

Client will be charged extra by freelancer - I guess one way to look at it is as a cost incurrred by your business so you would expect this.  However, I actually don't charge a higher rate for work I found outside of Upwork it's the same, to me the 20/10/5 is worth it because I had to do so very little to find the work.

I think people who take their work off this platform are TREMENDOUSLY short sighted.

3. Who said anything about risk, Upwork wants to get paid, if Upwork doesn't get paid, then it isn't here anymore to complain about.

4. I am plenty confident but there are no protections out there.  I can have a contract, I can hold IP, but there is no guarantee of payment.  Even with clients I have reason to trust you never know for sure until the check gets there.  I still work outside of UW and always will...but what I find here stays here, and I will get paid.

5. I don't think they are going to.

Highlighted
6 of 36
I don't compare Upwork to an Agency. I already pay an Agency via Upwork. I'd go back to Elance any day. I would not public post an expensive job on Upwork ever again. I'm happy to run with existing Agency.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Joan S Member Since: Mar 18, 2019
7 of 36

Gary's profile is no longer available - so maybe he did himself in.

Highlighted
Community Guru
8 of 36

Have you checked your profile?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
9 of 36

Joan S wrote:

Gary's profile is no longer available - so maybe he did himself in.

Clients have no profiles in the community. What you see when you click on his profile is how Upwork signals a client profile (in a poorly way).

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
Community Guru
BEST ANSWER
10 of 36

Thanks, Rene - didn't know that but, for some reason, I also thought Gary was a freelancer.

View solution in original post

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS