cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New fees for Freelancers

Highlighted
Andrew B Member Since: Jul 1, 2019
11 of 35

I was onboard with the idea initially, thinking $0.15 for a connect would be reasonable to maintain the integrity of freelancers applying, BUT, requiring 6 connects at $0.15 per connect to bid on a job is outrageous. Charging freelancers nearly $1 per bid and then taking 20% from the actual job (IF they get it) is ridiculous.

I have encountered MANY "clients" who are only posting jobs to test the market and see what's out there. People posting jobs aren't necessarily going to hire anyone and requiring freelancers to pay exorbitant prices to bid on jobs that are statistically unlikely to work out is only going to encourage more people to conduct their business outside the Upwork platform, which is a negative for all of us. 

I already pay a monthly fee of $14.99 for Freelancer Plus which only comes with 70 connects. If each connect under the new system is $0.15 my monthly fee should be getting me 100 connects - otherwise why am I paying for a membership? 

I don't understand Upwork's intent with this system. I don't understand the benefit of Freelancer Plus with the new system and I intend to cancel the membership. Couple this situation with the implementation and then removal of tests and it's clear the team running Upwork is struggling to figure out how to run this company. They wasted valuable freelancer's time conducting tests which they promised will improve hire rate, only to remove them. I agree that the tests are irrelevant, however, this is another example of the clear lack of direction at the head of this company.

I imagine it will only be a short amount of time before another company pops up and takes over the market share currently held by Upwork - They're clearly showing everyone what not to do.

Highlighted
Gary C Member Since: Jul 1, 2019
12 of 35
I think this presents an opportunity for LinkedIn.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
13 of 35

Are you talking about a different LinkedIn than I have heard of?

Profinder costs $59.99 a month because you have to subscribe to Premium Business.  Maybe if you were already doing that then it might be worth it.  Regardless, I have consistently been sent less than 4 jobs a month.   I can't look at jobs that are available, I only get what they send me, and I can't tell the client what I want.   I can't even tell them what kind of jobs I can do.  The jobs are also only local to me...why?  I work for people all the time that I am not in the same timezone with.

It sounds like you are a client worried about freelancers but if that is your solution you are just plain wrong.

Highlighted
14 of 35
Still alive and kicking here. I'm not a guru, sherpa, superstar or rockstar. Upworks money starts with people like me.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Joan S Member Since: Mar 18, 2019
15 of 35

But, Gary, why is it that Upwork says your profile is no longer available?

Highlighted
16 of 35

Hi Joan, I'm not available because i'm not a Freelancer. I came onto the wrong thread. I will try the "Clients" thread and see what trouble I can cause on there Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Roy S Member Since: Jul 28, 2020
17 of 35

Andrew B wrote:

I have encountered MANY "clients" who are only posting jobs to test the market and see what's out there. People posting jobs aren't necessarily going to hire anyone and requiring freelancers to pay exorbitant prices to bid on jobs that are statistically unlikely to work out is only going to encourage more people to conduct their business outside the Upwork platform, which is a negative for all of us. 

That EXACTLY what a Professional Client should ABSOLUTELY do before considering to award anybody the project. They SHOULD test the market in upwork and local on-shore market and calculate what's best for their business. That is the basic fundamental of Capitalism and looking back Mr. Jobs was the "Best" at it and thats why Apple ended up in China, didn't they... Thats why some very well known branded Sports Wear also produce in Sweatshops and sells at 100%++ margin, don't they.

The point is Businesses are there NOT to make Freelancers "Well Off" but themselves and people should realize that by now. The sooner the better... Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
18 of 35

Thanks for your feedback, Gary. I moved your thread to Clients section as you are sharing your perspective as a client. I'll also share your observations with the team but before I do, I'd like to note that it's against the ToS for the client and the freelancer to move payments off Upwork unless it's been longer than 24 months since they first connected on Upwork.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
19 of 35

Hi Valeria, thanks for your input. I'm aware of the T&Cs. It doesn't affect me as I have been with same client for years via Upwork, but I would be discouraged from finding any new talent on Upwork. I just would not want to put the Freelancer through the abusive fees. It is so wrong. Time will tell and I suspect that Upwork will relax the Freelancer abuse. If you could bring back Elance that would be great.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
20 of 35

Gary C wrote:

2. 20% for freelancer for under $500 is too steep. It is the end client who will pay via mark up and will discourage new entrants.
2. 10% for freelancer for under $10,000 wont work. Client will be charged extra by freelancer,

You do realize that there is nothing new about the 20% - 10% - 5% sliding fee structure, which has been in place for years?

Gary C wrote:
I'd go back to Elance any day.

I am always amused when people mourn a failed business model for the very reasons that led to its demise

Gary C wrote:

It doesn't affect me as I have been with same client for years via Upwork,

Freelancer. You mean "the same freelancer."

You're the client. Clients do the hiring, freelancers get hired.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS