Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New fees for Freelancers

Highlighted
Gary C Member Since: Jul 1, 2019
21 of 35

Hi Petra, Inline comments below.

Gary C wrote:

2. 20% for freelancer for under $500 is too steep. It is the end client who will pay via mark up and will discourage new entrants.
2. 10% for freelancer for under $10,000 wont work. Client will be charged extra by freelancer,

You do realize that there is nothing new about the 20% - 10% - 5% sliding fee structure, which has been in place for years?

Didn't realise that because I moved over from Elance with the same "Agency".

Gary C wrote:
I'd go back to Elance any day.

I am always amused when people mourn a failed business model for the very reasons that led to its demise

There were advantages of Elance over Upwork. eg. I preferred the ability to manage exchange rates more easily. Elance only failed because the owners were greedy and wanted an excuse to increase revenue in the form of Upwork.

So it used to be Elance for bigger jobs, ODesk for small Jobs, then Upwork brought it together, now Upwork is moving towards strangling the small Freelancer and back towards the Elance model again because small jobs are more trouble than they are worth.

Gary C wrote:

It doesn't affect me as I have been with same client for years via Upwork,

Freelancer. You mean "the same freelancer."

I mean't "Agency" who is actually a Freelancer but it is important to distinguish because some regard the charges to equate to Agency Fees, when many of the large Freelancers are Agencies or larger Companies. The Upwork charges are website admin fees nothing else. Also, I could not use a Freelancer because the breadth of skills would not be present in one person and the solution would likely be driven by the ability of the Freelancer and not by the Business Need.

So during the next 12 months, I will have a $10,000 Android App to have built, but if I don't use my existing Client, I wont be billing all that via Upwork.

But thanks for the response Petra.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
22 of 35

It seems to me like Upwork is tuning their business to generate more profit, is that what you mean by greedy?

If so, then are you suggesting that they are not allowed to do that because it is "unfair"?

It seems to me that Upwork is under no obligation to operate in any way as they did in the past not to continue to operate as they will in the future.  Similarly, I am under no obligation to try to find work here if I find their practices "unfair".  Finally, you, as a client, are also able to go find freelancers somewhere else using any method you like.

If you did post your job on Upwork and a freelancer bid on your project at $10k would know they are only going to make $8950.  Upwork informs them as much before they can put in a fixed price bid and it does something similar with hourly....not that it should need to because anyone who is actively looking for work on Upwork should at least understand that.

Do I wish it was 0%?  Actually no.  Upwork has proven to be a handy tool for me and I want it to be there when I reach for it.  If they ever get to the point where they charge too much for me, I will figure something else out.  But I am good right now.

Highlighted
23 of 35
Thanks for your opinion Mark.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
24 of 35
No problem whatsoever.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
25 of 35

Mark F wrote:

It seems to me like Upwork is tuning their business to generate more profit, is that what you mean by greedy?

You mean "any profit". Upwork has never turned a profit.

I am a long-term client who has been using Upwork since 2012. Most of my freelancers have been working with me for over 2 years, past the disintermediation period, and we are still here because Upwork gives me many tools to easily manage a high number of freelancer relationships, which would otherwise cost me a lot more time than I pay them in money (even with the new client fees - as Petra noted, the freelancer fees have not changed recently). All of my ongoing contracts are over $500, and several are over $10,000. Freelancers account for their fee in their hourly rate, and I don't really think about it at all.

If you want to risk your account by violating the Terms of Use and bragging about it in the forums, go ahead. Other clients accept the cost of doing business.

Highlighted
26 of 35
Hi Jennifer, Mark,

There are enough posts about dodgy profiles on Upwork. You only have to browse. If it works for you then carry on. For me, it's too risky to onboard new freelancers. It does not work for me.
Good luck to you though.
Highlighted
Community Guru
27 of 35

Gary C wrote:
Hi Jennifer, Mark,

There are enough posts about dodgy profiles on Upwork. You only have to browse. If it works for you then carry on. For me, it's too risky to onboard new freelancers. It does not work for me.
Good luck to you though.

Upwork gives you plenty of tools to weed out the "dodgy" profiles. I have never been scammed after being here for 7 years and spending hundreds of thousands of dollars. I've had very few negative experiences at all, and the vast majority of my experiences have been positive.

If it's too risky for you, you can always go somewhere else without violating Upwork's ToS.

Highlighted
28 of 35
Calm down Jennifer. No one has actually broken any T and Cs. It was mentioned as a risk. I'm aware of the options and I make my choices. You are obviously an Upwork lover or actually working for them. Not so sure about the 100s of 1000s of Dollars though without issues. I think imagination is kicking in there lol. I've explained why Upwork is a dangerous platform. The tools are not effective. I've explained that too. There are many complaints about scammers. The truth is before your eyes from MANY people but you do not believe them and you attack them for telling the truth. The truth does hurt but sometimes it needs to. I'm sorry that you cannot accept. It's time to call an end to this Guru, Sherpa, Rockstar, Superstar nonsense. I'm done wasting my time here. God bless you and goodbye.
Highlighted
Community Guru
29 of 35

Gary C wrote:
Calm down Jennifer. No one has actually broken any T and Cs. It was mentioned as a risk. I'm aware of the options and I make my choices. You are obviously an Upwork lover or actually working for them. Not so sure about the 100s of 1000s of Dollars though without issues. I think imagination is kicking in there lol. I've explained why Upwork is a dangerous platform. The tools are not effective. I've explained that too. There are many complaints about scammers. The truth is before your eyes from MANY people but you do not believe them and you attack them for telling the truth. The truth does hurt but sometimes it needs to. I'm sorry that you cannot accept. It's time to call an end to this Guru, Sherpa, Rockstar, Superstar nonsense. I'm done wasting my time here. God bless you and goodbye.

I never said there weren't scammers. I said that Upwork gives you tools, and sensible clients who use the tools provided and apply some common sense don't get scammed. I've talked openly in the forums the few times I have actually run into an issue, which have never been actual scams. You can see my history of forum posts yourself. And I am happy to DM you a link to a previous job I've posted where you can see my client history including reviews to and from freelancers, but here are my stats:
 Upwork stats.PNG

The whole "Guru" thing that you keep disparaging is simply a factor of how long people have been in the forums and how many posts they have made. It is not a rank awarded by Upwork and I am in no way affiliated with Upwork.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
30 of 35

Gary C wrote:

Upwork might not always get it right, but it is only dangerous to people who do not want to play by its rules. I do not know how long you have been here, but you are clearly unsuccessful at finding the right freelancer. Finding the right people and paying them correctly is a skill that neither Upwork, nor any other platform, can really help you with. As to the pricing, I can remember the oDesk days when the freelancer paid nothing and the client paid 10%.  And that was in the ToS. So count yourself lucky. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS