🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: New "Upwork room" message feature?
Page options
cupidmedia
Community Member

New "Upwork room" message feature?

I guess this is new, but I couldn't see an announcement for it:

Upwork recommendations channel.png

I'm not a big fan. I know who my freelancers are and what jobs I need people for, I don't need a bot telling me every time one of the 100+ freelancers I've ever hired gets a good review. Can I just leave the message room?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi All,

I would like to confirm that the test has ended and it won't be rolled out. 

Once again, thank you all for your feedback and sharing your concerns with us.

~ Goran
Upwork

View solution in original post

50 REPLIES 50

Repeating / reasking Nichola's question

"Does this mean "ended" as in no longer in existence, or "ended" as in this will be rolled out?"

I am also asking:

Lena,

"Does this mean "ended" as in no longer in existence, or "ended" as in this will be rolled out?"

Joe Chernow, CPA

Joseph M. C. ,P.C., CPA/ABV

Lena E wrote:

We frequently try out new features -- both big and small -- by conducting testing with a small group of users. This is the standard practice for most companies, and tests can sometimes last weeks or just a few days. In order to not impact or skew test results, we typically try not to share details about tests while they are ongoing. We do appreciate you sharing your concerns which have all been shared with the team. I can also confirm that as of today this Beta test has ended. 

Lena, I have worked with countless tech companies over the past couple of decades, and seen and participated in more beta tests than I could list in the space allowed here. I cannot recall a single instance outside of Upwork in which a customer was included in a beta test without affirmative opt-in, let alone without notification.

Lena E wrote:

We frequently try out new features -- both big and small -- by conducting testing with a small group of users. This is the standard practice for most companies, and tests can sometimes last weeks or just a few days. In order to not impact or skew test results, we typically try not to share details about tests while they are ongoing. We do appreciate you sharing your concerns which have all been shared with the team. I can also confirm that as of today this Beta test has ended. 

Other than stating "the beta test has ended" -  the meaning of which is NOT  clear to the readers of this thread - this is exactly what Avery said earlier than the thread.

As with the "grocery store" thread, it would be great to hear from some on the Upwork feature team and have the opportunity to share our concerns. Better yet, talk to us BEFORE  these features are introduced, TO ANYONE.

I think part of the challenge here is that the clients may want this feature (why, i have no clue), but what about the rights of the Freelancers in terms of privacy and confidentiality? 

There are some very smart freelancers and clients on this platform. People who have (or may still work) for large corporations and can provide a wealth of experience and advice.  Upwork - please listen.

Once again, Upwork's nebulousness, ambiguity, and refusal to answer a simple question speaks volumes.  All of which comes down to a lack of transparency coupled with a lack of honesty when communicating with clients on both sides of the equation.

"Does this mean "ended" as in no longer in existence ...

or "ended" as in this will be rolled out?"

Hi All,

~ Goran
Upwork

Goran V wrote:

Hi All,

I would like to confirm that the test has ended and it won't be rolled out

Good! We did it! 

And Goran, thanks for the good news.

Goran V wrote:

Hi All,

I haven't been around for a couple weeks so I missed this news. Thank you Goran for confirming this feature will not be rolled out.

Miriam H wrote:

Lena E wrote:

Other than stating "the beta test has ended" -  the meaning of which is NOT  clear to the readers of this thread - this is exactly what Avery said earlier than the thread.

As with the "grocery store" thread, it would be great to hear from some on the Upwork feature team and have the opportunity to share our concerns. Better yet, talk to us BEFORE  these features are introduced, TO ANYONE.

I think part of the challenge here is that the clients may want this feature (why, i have no clue), but what about the rights of the Freelancers in terms of privacy and confidentiality? 

There are some very smart freelancers and clients on this platform. People who have (or may still work) for large corporations and can provide a wealth of experience and advice.  Upwork - please listen.

It was an unhappy client who first brought this terrible test into the light. As far as I know, not a single client weighed in, in favor of this feature. I think it was cooked up by some inexperienced managers playing with dashboards.

This business of beta testing functionality that disrupts our (Fls' and clients') business that we transact using actual money, needs to stop!

Thanks so much, Goran.  We all appreciate your news and the precise manner is which you conveyed it.  

The only way we learn of something new is when a client or a freelancer experiences it and comes on here to complain about it. Very Very rarely are we asked for our advice, suggestions, given information/details of an impending new function or beta test or the ability to opt in to a beta test or whatever is going on. Then, for days, Upwork remains silent about it. 

Latest Articles
Learning Paths