Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New "Upwork room" message feature?

Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
11 of 50

Avery, please relay this up the chain:

If a test is done with a small group of users, then any conclusions are being drawn from a small sample. If UW is looking at automated metrics, then a small sample doesn't seem too reliable. If UW is focusing on reactions from the test subjects, then why not simply ask them instead of interfering with their work? The cavalier manner in which UW runs tests that potentially have real-world consequences for FLs and clients is appalling.

Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
12 of 50

A surprise every day!

But, what nonsense is this?
Why does a client have to know what, when, how, and why I am doing if that is not the job for which he has hired me?

This is a FLAGRANT INTROMISION in our work.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
13 of 50

Avery O wrote:

Hi Jennifer, 

We frequently try out new features -- both big and small -- by conducting testing with a small group of users. This is the standard practice for most companies, and tests can sometimes last weeks or just a few days. In order to not impact or skew test results, we typically try not to share details about tests while they are ongoing. While we can’t address your questions about this test, we do want and appreciate your feedback. I will be glad to pass your comments on as we work to determine which potential features our customers like and don’t like.

Thanks you for your understanding!

Avery,

I know this is not your initiative and that you are only the messenger. However, your reply  gives me cold chills - a sort of  "This is going to hurt you more than it's going to hurt us" message. It is one thing Upwork using its freelancers as guinea pigs but goes beyond the line when experimenting with clients. This is truly stupid.  The OP has spent thousands on this site and would not have made this comment without good cause.

Big companies might "make tests", but big companies should not act as if they are despotic rulers of the world who can whip people (in this case, freelancers and clients) into submission to suit their arcane methods.

Community Guru
Ines H Member Since: Feb 15, 2017
14 of 50

Avery O wrote:

This is the standard practice for most companies

Testing beta features with small subset of users - yes.

Not telling the users they're part of a beta test and then not providing them with details about the feature they're testing - only for Upwork.

Avery O wrote:

In order to not impact or skew test results, we typically try not to share details about tests while they are ongoing. While we can’t address your questions about this test [...]

I'm sorry Avery but that's just ridiculous and I'm not sure if you're actually replying to Jennifer's original post here or if you're referring to something that was privately shared between you.

Jennifer's question was can she opt-out / can she leave the room. The answer is either a yes or a no (but let's be real, there's only ever one answer to this question). How could you possibly impact or skew the results of the test by saying "no you can't opt out"? Or by announcing the feature to people, telling them "hey we're testing this new thing and you're part of our testing group", or by explaining to them what the feature is and what it does? Are you testing a person's psychological aptitude at navigating around lightning strikes or a feature?

Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
15 of 50

This is pretty awful. I don't want my clients getting spammed about what how I'm doing with other clients. This is yet another way of interfering in FL-client relationships. UW needs to stop butting in, please and thank you.

Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
16 of 50

This is dreadful.  My clients have no business knowing about my work with other clients.

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
17 of 50

All my clients want to know is that I do a good job for them.  The world gets enough SPAM as it is.

Take this test and DUMP IT.  Then fire the noob who came up with concept.

And, by the way, did it not occur to you that this is perilously close to infringing on NDAs?

Community Guru
Joseph C Member Since: Jan 22, 2016
18 of 50

I am a Certified Public Accountant and it is unprofessional and probably contrary to the published ethics of my profession for stangers to know, without my consent, what I am doing for other clients.

Kill this "feature".

Joseph M. C. ,P.C., CPA/ABV
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
19 of 50

The more I think about this, the less I like it. Not least because I'm now getting completely irrelavant "recommendations":
Upwork recommendations channel2.png

I have never posted a job called "Head of UXUICRO". I've posted hundreds of jobs on Upwork, and more than 99% of them have been translation-related - I can count on one hand the number of projects that haven't been translation projects. Why am I getting spammed with completely irrelevant "recommendations"?

And from a freelancer point of view, I can see how this would be alarming. Sure, information like their feedback history is visible on their profile. But that's different to shoving it in the face of past clients.

This feature needs, at minimum, more thought. Maybe opt-in options for clients and freelancers alike.

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
20 of 50

Upwork, concerns have been raised that bring into question the legality of this as well as legitimate and valid client concerns.  It seems to us (and yes, I am speaking for all who have commented) that while you are in a rush to dump this nonsense on us and then to try and sell us on it ....when legitimate issues have been raised you tend to emulate an ostrich.

We would appreciate an acknowledgment - not platitudes - about our concerns.

And I will continue to rant ...

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS