Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New "Upwork room" message feature?

Community Guru
Bill H Member Since: Aug 18, 2017
21 of 50

Wendy,

Well said. I often sign not only NDAs but also Non-Compete Agreements with clients. I don't want my past clients getting upset because I'm working with a new client that they mistakenly believe is a competitor, or whose veeblefetzer division is a competitor, but I'm only working with the foofram division. If new clients are being identified, or the nature of the work hinted at, this is a catastrophe. I promise my clients discretion, meaning I don't let anyone know that ABC is my client without ABC's express permission. Under no conditions do I want XYZ wasting ABC's time with a back-channel communication about me without ABC's permission.

Community Guru
Renata S Member Since: Jun 10, 2014
22 of 50

Wendy C wrote:

Upwork, concerns have been raised that bring into question the legality of this as well as legitimate and valid client concerns.  It seems to us (and yes, I am speaking for all who have commented) that while you are in a rush to dump this nonsense on us and then to try and sell us on it ....when legitimate issues have been raised you tend to emulate an ostrich.

We would appreciate an acknowledgment - not platitudes - about our concerns.

And I will continue to rant ...

I find the fact that UpWork continues in its attemps to emulate Amazon in terms of non-stop marketing of freelancers really disturbing. I can't think of anything more inappropriate and unprofessional than UpWork harassing my clients with reports of what I'm doing on other people's projects, not to mention the potential for confidentiality problems. These are valid concens and it would have been better to run this one by some freelancers (and some clients?) before even investing time and money into implementing it.

My clients are busy people. They signed on to the site to get things done. This is not an online store and attemptions to push it at clients as one will have negative rather than positive effects on client perceptions (and there are already enough things happening on this site with the potential to put clients off).

Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
23 of 50

I'm wondering if the legal implications of this test was run by the same lawyers that drafted the updated ToS. 

Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
24 of 50

Renata S wrote:

My clients are busy people. They signed on to the site get things done. This is not an online store and attemptions to push it at clients as one will have negative rather than positive effects on client perceptions (and there are already enough things happening on this site with the potential to put clients off).

This!!!

Community Guru
Renata S Member Since: Jun 10, 2014
25 of 50

Phyllis G wrote:

Renata S wrote:

My clients are busy people. They signed on to the site get things done. This is not an online store and attemptions to push it at clients as one will have negative rather than positive effects on client perceptions (and there are already enough things happening on this site with the potential to put clients off).

This!!!

OMG. I need an editor! Smiley Happy I'm going to have to avoid being outraged in the wee hours. Smiley Happy

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
26 of 50

ETA: Quoting OP Jennifer D.

"And from a freelancer point of view, I can see how this would be alarming. Sure, information like their feedback history is visible on their profile. But that's different to shoving it in the face of past clients"

This. Especially when we'd rather not work with a client again. We've all experienced jobs that have gone well and resulted in 5 stars, but the client and freelancer relationship may not have been what both hoped for, and neither party would care to work together again.

I wish U would think things through to their logical conclusion. For an online freelance site, it's astonishing how little you seem to know (or care) about how clients and freelancers work together.

Community Guru
Joseph C Member Since: Jan 22, 2016
27 of 50

Mods,

I have earned over $170,000 on Upwork and have a 94% JSS.

I absolutely do not want my clients to receive spam from Upwork relating to my activities with other clients. 

How to I opt out?  Is the only choice to make my Profile private?

If that is the only answer, I will do so immediately even if it decreases invites and adversely affects my future earnings and Upwork's as well.

Joseph M. Chernow, Certified Public Account

Joseph M. C. ,P.C., CPA/ABV
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
28 of 50

@ Joseph and any mod who might give a hoot ... I will do the same ... and Upwork will lose money.

Community Guru
Joseph C Member Since: Jan 22, 2016
29 of 50

No response on my request to Mods how to opt out.

My Profile is now Private.

Joseph M. C. ,P.C., CPA/ABV
Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
30 of 50

Dear Upwork...

This is a horrible idea. All of the FLers who've replied thus far have covered the reasons I would present to you as well. Going down the Amazon/eBay road, i.e., commodifying knowledge or intellectual work, demonstrates a clear lack of knowledge as to the difference between purchasing a widget and hiring me to write a white paper. So many nuances that cannot be downshifted to "Kat earned 5 stars on client work that has nothing to do with the work she's done for you in the past." Or "here's an annoying promotion for past freelancers."

It reminds me of the Amazon sellers who pester me for reviews of their products. Ugh. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS