cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New "Upwork room" message feature?

Community Leader
Valerio S Member Since: Oct 13, 2017
31 of 50

I'm amazed by the amount of time and effort Upwork spends planning, testing and, in the worst cases, implement completely useless and stupid features.

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
32 of 50

Upwork, your silence is deafening.

We don't expect the newer mods to comment, but the experienced and seasoned ones - Valeria, Lena, and Vlad - might at least acknowledge that you've sent the legal concerns expressed by posters up the chain of command.

The furor is not going to die down by ignoring us.  Odds are it will only escalate.

Community Leader
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
33 of 50

Just adding to the furor. I agree with every concern that has been raised. It's not entirely confidential but my clients do not want their grants plans announced to other clients of mine by way of UpWork releasing details (Even just the name) of my contracts and pushing reviews in front of their faces. 

Furthermore, I could see that should a freelancer have an unfortunate experience with a client that ends in a bad review, that this being pushed in front of former or ongoing/repeat clients would damage business FOR EVERYONE, UpWork included. 

Why in the world would my clients care what my other clients think of me or what other job I did? Oh, right, they don't. They only care about the work I'm doing for them and the quality of the work I give TO THEM, and whether THEY won a grant or not. Ridiculous. 

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
34 of 50

This was first made apparent to users on 9/1 at 05:31:24 PM by an Upwork client.

It is now one week later - 9/8 - and, other than lame excuses and erroneous statements from mods  (through no fault of their own) the issue remains unaddressed by management.

We have questioned the legality of this based on NDAs, Codes of Ethics for various professions, and simple common sense.

It appears that Upwork neither respects nor cares about client concerns, freelancer concerns, or the essential legality of the actions taken based on a severely misguided attempt to play like Amazon.  If I am wrong, please let us know that both clients and FLers have a way to opt out of this mess.

If U wants to run 'beta tests' (which this is not; pls. see detailed comments in previous posts) - then at least give those of us smart enough to understand the ramifications the ability to opt out.

It has been 7 days - and so far Upwok's only words have been ineffectual platitudes.  It seems to us that clients and freelancers alike deserve some answers to the issues addressed.

Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
35 of 50

Today I got the exct same "recommendation" 12 hours apart:

Upwork recommendations channel3.png

Is there any point in me continuing to report these issues here?

Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
36 of 50

Jennifer D wrote:

From the FL sided of the table, this is maddening. UW is creating aggravation which will inevitably spill onto the poor FLs who are being used (against their will and without their knowledge) to spam clients.

Jennifer, I harbor only the faintest hope that updates here from you and other clients will prod UW to action. But I personally appreciate the window into what is going on, on the client side. 

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
37 of 50

Jennifer D wrote:

Yes, there is ... if for no other reason than to keep us FL's apprised of what is happening to our clients. And to keep on fighting it.

Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
38 of 50

We frequently try out new features -- both big and small -- by conducting testing with a small group of users. This is the standard practice for most companies, and tests can sometimes last weeks or just a few days. In order to not impact or skew test results, we typically try not to share details about tests while they are ongoing. We do appreciate you sharing your concerns which have all been shared with the team. I can also confirm that as of today this Beta test has ended. 

Untitled
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
39 of 50

Lena E wrote:

We frequently try out new features -- both big and small -- by conducting testing with a small group of users. This is the standard practice for most companies, and tests can sometimes last weeks or just a few days. In order to not impact or skew test results, we typically try not to share details about tests while they are ongoing. We do appreciate you sharing your concerns which have all been shared with the team. I can also confirm that as of today this Beta test has ended

Hi Lena, 

Does this mean "ended" as in no longer in existence, or "ended" as in this will be rolled out? 

Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
40 of 50

Very good question!!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS