🐈
» Forums » Clients » New to Upwork
Page options
9a7b6d99
Community Member

New to Upwork

Hi all

I posted my first job on Upwork and selected a contractor based on his profile and approval rating.

I followed up with him to see how the job was going as I didn't receive any tracking information.

He stated that he was having technical issues and could I pay on his brother's account?

I gave him a few days after asking him to resolve his 'technical issues' and he is still having problems with the same request to pay on his brother's account. (Please note that I have told him my boss won't sign off on payment without the tracking information.)

This seems fairly shady to me. I have a feeling that he is trying to rip me off.

Is this commonplace on Upwork?

Has anyone had a similar issue?

How did you resolve it?

4 REPLIES 4
759e32fa

Hi Barry,

Thank you for reaching out to us. For your safety, please refrain from transacting outside Upwork. Also, do not release payments when you have not received the work that you requested. 

I would also suggest that you give the freelancer a deadline for the project in order for you to move on once the deliverables aren't submitted on time. So if it doesn't work out, you can move on and hire a replacement. 

I'm hoping other clients who have gone through the same thing can chance upon your post and also share their experiences. Should you need help from our support team, you can contact us by following the simple steps listed here.

~ AJ
Upwork

Hi AJ

I am still trying to resolve with the contractor but will follow your guidance.

What services do you require?

prestonhunter
Community Member

Ugh. No.

There are literally thousands of freelancers on Upwork who could do a great job on your project.

No reason to waste time on scoundrels.

Immediately close contract and block.

I have hired over 180 freelancers on Upwork.

Most are great.

Some are scoundrels.

I don't spend time with the scoundrels. They are only going to try to rip you off. Most never produce any usable work.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths