cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to upwork, and i have an issue with the work submitted by a freelancer

Alex B Member Since: May 1, 2017
1 of 8

Hi,  I posted a job and hired someone on a fixed price however the work they submitted did not meet the requirements.    I feel I was pretty clear on what I expected however they just posted some useless information then found on Google (around 800 words, actually 500 ). They claim to be a tax lawyer but the info is not at all beneficial to me.  Now I owe them $240 USD.  What is the best way to dispute this?   Should i give them full payment?  How can this be best resolved, I don't believe they can do this job properly based on what they submitted but should I ask to request changes to the milestone they just submitted or should I dispute the work?  What are my other options?

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
2 of 8

Alex,

I've flagged your post, so hopefully a moderator will be along to help you.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
BEST ANSWER
3 of 8

Alex:

Do NOT even consider a dispute before trying to settle things directly with the freelancer.

Write to the freelancer:

"Jeremy:

I can not use the work you submitted. It is not what I asked for. I could file a dispute with Upwork and end up paying nothing at at all. But I do believe that you put some effort into it. I would be willing to release half ($120) right now, if you will agree to that as a compromise. You would get paid immediately, and I would not ask you to do any more work on the project. We could thus end things on a good note, with my appreciation for your time, and with your understanding that this was not a good fit when it comes to the freelancer chosen and the project needs."

Alex:

If the freelancer agrees to this, then release the 50% payment, close the contract, and hire other freelancers to work on this. Do not try to get this freelancer to "fix" the work that he did. His work will never be what this project needs, no matter what he does.

If the freelancer responds to you with anything other than an agreement to accept half payment, then write back to him:

"Jeremy:

Sorry for any confusion. I did not mean to offer you $120. I meant to offer $100. Will you accept that, or will I need to withdraw all payment and file a dispute? Let me know which you prefer."

4 of 8

what if they dont respond to the offer at all?

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
5 of 8

Hi Alex,

Before disputing, please try communicating with the freelancer and letting them know about your concerns with the work they delivered. If you want you can discuss partial payment with them. If they are unable to make changes to the delivered product so it meets your expectations, you can close the job and request a refund from Escrow. The freelancer will then need to either approve the refund or file a dispute.

Please, see this help article for more information.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
6 of 8

Re: "what if they dont respond to the offer at all?"

It is their right to not respond.

If they do not respond at all, then you will close the contract without releasing any funds.

When you close the contract, you are given the chance to request ALL of the money from escrow be returned back to you.

Do that.

The freelancer has the choice to ignore this action on your part. If the freelancer does nothing, then all the money will be returned back to you.

7 of 8

How many days should ui give them to reply?    

Community Guru
8 of 8

How many days?

That is up to you. If it was me, I would give them 48 hours.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS