cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie: Hired Freelancer Hourly - When do I close the job?

4a769b2a
Harold H Member Since: Sep 22, 2016
1 of 7

This is my first time hiring a freelancer, I chose hourly rate rather than a fixed amount, but I only want a max of 8 hours spent on the job total. How do I ensure that the freelancer doesn't go over the 8 hours? If I end the job, will he basically send me what he has produced thus far?

Thanks.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 7

re: "When do I close the job?"

Clients close the job WHENEVER they want to.

Please keep in mind that the "maximum number of hours" is PER WEEK.

So when the time resets on Sunday at midnight (standard time), the freelancer can begin logging hours again.

If you have received the work you want done, you can immediately close the job. You do not need to wait for a certain number of hours to be completed.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
3 of 7

re: "If I end the job, will he basically send me what he has produced thus far?"

There is no guarantee that this will happen.

My advice is to ask the contractor to send you the work he has done thus far.

If you receive everything you want, then thank him and close the job.

If you do not receive everything you want, then tell him what you want and have him continue working and supplying you the work files, until you get what you need.

Remember: This is an hourly contract, so everything he produces belongs to you as long as you're paying him. And if he is billing time properly using the time-tracker, you will be automatically billed for the hours he works.

A truly professional freelancer will send you the files as soon as they're ready, without you needing to ask for them.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
4 of 7

re: "How do I ensure that the freelancer doesn't go over the 8 hours?"

If you set the maximum number of hours to 8, there is no way for the freelancer to log more billable time than that.

During a week.

If the contract remains open and unpaused, then the freelancer can bill an additional 8 hours each week.

You able to monitor the freelancer's work and hours logged in the freelancer's work diary, which you may view at any time.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 7

@Preston H wrote:

So when the time resets on Sunday at midnight (standard time),

Sunday at midnight UTC

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
6 of 7

Harold,

This page may also help with some of your questions: https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/categories/201362668

cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
7 of 7

Harold, like Preston said you can set the max hours per week on the contract but the freelancer will be able to bill that number of hours each week. You can't set the max hours in total for the contract. The best idea is always to communicate constantly with your freelancer so that you both understand each other's expectations.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS