cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Budget?

Robert K Member Since: Dec 3, 2019
1 of 7

Hello,

I would like to post a job without specifying a budget. Instead I would like the freelancers to propose they cost for the project. Is this possible?

Community Guru
Michael S Member Since: Aug 29, 2017
2 of 7

Robert K wrote:

Hello,

I would like to post a job without specifying a budget. Instead I would like the freelancers to propose they cost for the project. Is this possible?

You have to put something in the budget field, but it doesn't have to be your actual budget.

What some do is put $5 or so as the budget, but mention in the listing that they want freelancers to propose what they think a job is worth. The downside of this is that many will see the $5 budget and ignore it.

Best bet is to look and see what similar jobs go for in your general location, take 15-20% off and set that as your budget, and still tell freelancers that you want them to propose their own rate for the project.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 7

Robert:

Many of us would like it if clients were able to do exactly what you're proposing. This has been requested and discussed, but is currently not possible other than through workarounds, such as described by Michael S.

Another viable way to post jobs when you don't want to post a budget is to simply post the job as an hourly contract.

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
4 of 7

Preston H wrote:

Robert:

Many of us would like it if clients were able to do exactly what you're proposing. This has been requested and discussed, but is currently not possible

It is possible. I've seen posts for fixed price jobs without a budget, but I think it's restricted to a certain set of clients. For a reason that I cannot even begin to understand.

The fact that Upwork refuses to give this long needed option to all the clients is just baffling.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
BEST ANSWER
5 of 7

Robert K wrote:

Hello,

Robert,

Understand that if you do put a placeholder of $5, there are freelancers who won't even see your job post because of their personal saved job searches that include a minimum dollar amount. Looking at similar posts is a good suggestion, and you may also want to consider finding profiles that fit what you're looking for - then you can send an "invite only" to specific freelancers and discuss budgets during the interview stage.

Robert K Member Since: Dec 3, 2019
6 of 7

Thanks Virginia F and others who answered this question.  Interesting perspectives.  The options strike me as "work-arounds" - interesting that Upwork didn't build in this use case.

Nonetheless, your final suggestion Virginia - that I reach out directly to candidates - may be the best of them.

Thanks all.

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
7 of 7

Robert K wrote:

Thanks Virginia F and others who answered this question.  Interesting perspectives.  The options strike me as "work-arounds" - interesting that Upwork didn't build in this use case.

Nonetheless, your final suggestion Virginia - that I reach out directly to candidates - may be the best of them.

Thanks all.

You're very welcome. As Rene hints at, many of us have asked for this feature to be implemented - it's baffling as to why it hasn't been.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS