cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Shows

Highlighted
Brittney M Member Since: Jun 7, 2016
1 of 9

Years ago, with another organization, I used what was then Odesk. It worked well! Matter of fact, I LOVED it! The freelancers all showed uo for interviews, they were all professional... Now, All of my scheduled and pre-confirmed interviews are no shows. What gives? Curious.... Has the quality of available freelenaces declined?

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 9

Ran into no-shows too myself. Flakey freelancers are common, but that's why good ones can charge well for several reasons including the fact that they are reliable.

I once told a client I had to take my car in to the shop and might miss a deadline. I figured as soon as she read it she thought I was full of it. lol I made the deadline anyway and kicked myself for even sending the excuse but wasn't sure if I'd make it. 

It's pretty common to run into flakes on these platforms.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
BEST ANSWER
3 of 9

Hi Brittney,

I've checked and see you started communicating with a few prospective freelancers yesterday afternoon. I'd advise you to wait for a bit more in order to allow for the time zone difference, seeing the freelancers' location.

Brittney M Member Since: Jun 7, 2016
4 of 9

Will do. Appreciate the immediate response =-) 

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 9

Brittney, there is no way around the fact that Upwork contractors are not screened, and it's position as the market leader has attracted a lot of low quality "contractors" as well as some out-right scammers. But there are also vast numbers of highly professional, high-quality contractors.

As long as you understand this and adjust your hiring practices to take this into account, you can hire successfully. I assume that 25% of contractors I hire won't do anything, so I make sure I pad my hiring to adjust for this. I do the same thing when I hire local workers via CraigsList.

Community Leader
Lindsey G Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
6 of 9

I've flaked on a few interviews, but that was my fault for deigning to interview with clients whose projects I wasn't really interested in or whose budgets were too low. Accepting an interview and/or project out of desparation was my M.O. a few years back. I've gotten better about being picky.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 9

So from Lindsey's story we can learn that if you line up an interview with a contractor and they don't show up and you never hear from them again, it probably means you simply saved some time you would have otherwise wasted talking to somebody who wasn't right for the project.

Community Leader
Lindsey G Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
8 of 9

Yep

Community Guru
Christy A Member Since: Dec 30, 2015
9 of 9

I just posted a job and not one, but two applicants didn't show up for our call.  And yes, a call was necessary lol.

Both were TR with a JSS in the high 90s.  I gave the job to a newbie with an awesome portfolio because she managed to make our call.

I got a little crabby about it, to be honest.  

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS