cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: No Sorting No Shortlisting View Job Applicants page totally useless if more than 20 applicants

Highlighted
Tyler C Member Since: Aug 19, 2015
1 of 12

The View Job Applicants page has totally changed before it had a sort by and short list and links to see where you had organized your applicants and now its just this top to bottom useless page that give very little info about the applicants if you want more info you have to leave the page with a dumb save option that is not helpful at all for organizing with a project.

So is Upwork like a newb site or what?  Seems pretty useless maybe I should go back to freelancer.

Here's a screen shot: http://prntscr.com/86q4p4

How Upwork used to be before they became useless: http://prntscr.com/86q4ze

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 12

Hi Tyler,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I am sorry if there is still some confusion about the new design.

To clarify, we’ve replaced shortlisting with saving. You can now save any freelancer you like for later. It’s similar to shortlisting, except you can access your saved freelancers even after you’ve hired or closed the job. Just find them in your Saved folder in your My Freelancers tab. In the future, we may build the ability for you to filter your applicants to see just the ones you’ve saved for that job.

Additionally, we’re replacing sorting with filtering, allowing you to drill down by hourly rate, experience level, ratings, and all the other filters available to you when you search for freelancers. By default, applicants will still be sorted by “best match”.

I hope this info helps.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
3 of 12

"To clarify, we’ve replaced shortlisting with saving." Ok so now upwork only works with posting 1 project at a time and saved lists must be removed before starting new projects as it would have freelancers that haven't applied for the open project.  Ok thanks for the new useless shortlist (saved) feature.

As seen in my screen shot these "filters" you mention don't exist.  And are not an acceptable replacement for sorting.

Finally you did not address the issue of having to leave the page to get more info.  The is very disruptive flow.  The old style expanded to show all info about the applicant right where I'm at on the page, the new style goes to a new page just to see something stupid like what are the other badges the freelancer has.

Do me a favor and put my account to use the old style website.  This new website is totally useless!

This is totally embarrasing.  You can't contract a usability engineer with your own site that would clearly point out that 1. you should not take away existing tools, and 2. allow for a customer to pick which tools they use?

Seriously put my account on the old site or I'm just cancelling my account and telling all the freelancers they can find the project on a site that isn't TOTALLY useless for organizing candidates.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Natacha R Member Since: Aug 2, 2010
4 of 12

Another change? I still see the old one, I guess they will slowly roll out the new version Robot Frustrated

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
5 of 12

Has this new feature been Announced by way of an Announcement in the Announcements section??

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
6 of 12

Hi Tyler and others,

Thank you for sharing your opinions. The new design is currently in testing with a limited audience and we are closely monitoring usage and feedback. We then plan to roll the new design out to the remainder of clients adding more filtering options and officially announcing it to the Community.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
7 of 12

@Valeria K wrote:

Additionally, we’re replacing sorting with filtering, allowing you to drill down by hourly rate, experience level, ratings, and all the other filters available to you when you search for freelancers. By default, applicants will still be sorted by “best match”.

Well, that is really comforting, isn't it?

The "best match" feature being "good fit's" little brother (or as Fergus would say, its retarded cousin)?

The search is broken and the "good fit" feature never worked; and I have noticed that I am getting job recommendations again. Which are all pretty useless and don't match my skills at all. If this is how proposals are being listed from now on:

Screen Shot 2015-08-22 at 20.58.43.png

Highlighted
Community Guru
Daniel C Member Since: Nov 21, 2010
8 of 12

How does Upwork come up with these ideas?  They need to work out a more stable development cycle.  They should run test groups to see if the changes will be beneficial before going forward with something. 

I don't want to save freelancers, unless I want to contact them later for another job.  I'm mostly just trying to pick the best of what's available.  Let the cream rise to the top.  If someone is exceptional then I want to keep them in a list for future reference.

What would be really cool is a +/- button.  That way I can compare relative to the next one.  It's called bubble sorting in CS.  This would be ideal for churning and letting the cream rise to the top.

To go a step further, they could make an intuitive design that goes like this...

A vs. B, which do you like better? A, A takes over B

A vs C, which do you like better? C, C takes over A

Result: C, A, B

That would be a manual bubble sort and would greatly simplify the decision making process.

Highlighted
9 of 12

So Upwork is too embarrased to comment again on this thread?

Highlighted
D. G Member Since: Aug 18, 2015
10 of 12

I totally agree, what a mess.

The shortlising process took me far longer because I couldn't shortlist applicants, it was just a long long list of names, with new ones just placed randomly anywhere on the page.

I saw the video in the forum, and genuinely thought it must have been a bug, even open a ticket about it...

Now I can't even access the proposals any longer, just in case I might have wanted to hire a second person, or things don't work out with the freelancer I've chosen.

I've come over from Elance, and it was much much better.

It feels like they are working against clients, that we are children who need to be controlled and given limited choices, or we might get confused....

Then I read that applications from people who are charged to submit them are hidden from me. I find that unethical towards them and patronising towards me and I've decided that I will not use Odesk in future unless I really can't find an alternative.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS