cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No applicants for writing projects - why?

Highlighted
Kelly Q Member Since: May 21, 2017
1 of 24

I am posting in Clients because I am a Client, however, I'm also eager in understanding Freelancers' response to this question.

I have always used Upwork for lead generation (list building) and web development work. For those projects, I've always gotten tons of freelancer responses to my job posts and have been thrilled with the work performed.

Recently I posted a writing job for the first time. I was looking for a writer who could write guest article proposals.  I have redrafted and reposted the job to make it easier and/or more clear, but I'm still not getting any applicants, even after inviting the applicants recommended by Upwork.

1) Is there something wrong with my job post?  Or is the "article writing" category of freelancers much less populated than data entry/web research and web development?  

-and-

2) Since I've had to close earlier versions jobs and rewrite/post them, I've noticed my "hire rate" has gone down, despite the fact I am trying to hire for every job need I have.  Is this statistic going to hurt my ability to use Upwork going forward?  If so, are there ways I can mitigate this?  

Thanks so much for the help and guidance!!

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
BEST ANSWER
2 of 24

Kelly,

There are more writers (and 'writters' depending on the quality of work) than almost any other category.

As a writer there are certain specifics in RFPs that I look for:

- Topic and/or theme of the work required.  This goes beyond statements such as "I need my website written, I need a book, or I need an article or blog. Potential bidders need to know the context and the bones of a writing gig.

I can write about a plethora of things but I could never write a hard-core scientific book, website or article. I don't have the core knowledge to do so.

- Estimate how many words you are looking for if the RFP is for an article or blog post.

- If considerable research is required, state that in your RFP.

- I suggest you post writing jobs (not editing or translation jobs) at a fixed price. Writing is not a skill that is compatible with Time Tracker, the U tool for hourly jobs.

- Finally, offer a fair price or, if you have no idea of what that a fair price would be, use $5 and state PRICE INDICATED IS A PLACEHOLDER ONLY.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
3 of 24

You wouldn't happen to be the lady who claims to be an expert and wants a writer to "take direction" are you? I'm careful with experts. I find that we clash and while I don't argue with clients even if I disagree with what they want me to write, I do find it's problematic because I consider myself one too and we wind up arguing one way or the other. The "take direction" thing (I saw on a job post today) put me off because I prefer the client to give me an outline or tell me the topic and let me do it.

There are some buzz phrases that for some reason clients seem to think "work" and really all they do is scare away the real professionals and experts. Any kind of "this is so easy and I'm an expert but I want you to do it" puts me off.

Haider R Member Since: Sep 20, 2017
4 of 24

Exactly how I feel often.

Community Guru
5 of 24

I hope she comes back. There are a couple things she said that make me think she is the "take direction" poster. That poster reposted the job again too, but not totally sure. There has to be something that put off writers, because usually anything and everything gets tons of proposals.

Also, her client rating could be a factor if it's bad. If I see more than 1 bad comment from a freelancer, I will skip it.

6 of 24

Thanks and no, I'm not the "expert" you describe!

Community Guru
7 of 24

well **bleep** lol Good and bad I suppose.

Anywho, then I guess we'd have to see the job description.

8 of 24

Thanks all - I've made multiple replies thanking you all for your help and also sharing the job posting link, but all of my responses have disappeared. I take it we can't include links in our responses? I'd love to share this to drive the forum conversation forward...

Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
9 of 24

I don't know if this is allowed or not, but it would help if we could somehow see your job post either by copying it here or providing a link to it. Then the writers would tell you exactly what is wrong and why you aren't getting any responses.

And to not get ANY responses, even from freelancers who say," I do good job, I write beutify artikles" is kind of rare because the writing section is saturated with freelancers, professionals and freelancers who think they can write and will apply to every job that has writing in the title or job description.

Community Guru
Kim F Member Since: Aug 26, 2015
10 of 24

Actually, I believe this is much more common than it first appears. Recently I've bid on a number of projects that show below 5 bidders after they've been posted for a number of days. And if you look at the filter for number of bidders, less than 5 is (currently for writing) about 3 times larger than the 20-50 category.  The same ratio applies if you look at the article writing category alone. (I realise this is skewed by the newest projects not having yet received bids that are recorded and bids being declined, but it's still a huge difference.)

If it's highly specific, that may be filtering out some of the 'I write good articles' people.

Agreed about the wrong buzz phrases - personally, I'm not so bothered by 'take direction' but 'purple cow' makes me want to bang my head on a wall. 'No plaigiarism will be tolerated' starts from the point of view that the freelancer is here to rip people off and is insulting; talking about a 'long term relationship' can be off-putting if the rate appears low, and so on.

Reposting it several times may be a mistake - it suggests Upwork has taken it down before for some reason.  Better to get whatever it is sorted before posting again.

It's hard to say, though, without knowing more details.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS