cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No applicants for writing projects - why?

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
11 of 24

Further to the point made by Jennifer and Kim, I also generally avoid the "purple cow" type postings, and those with a lot of Upwork's stock questions attached to the project. 

The biggest red flag for me, though, is "Must pass Copyscape." It's like a flashing neon sign announcing that you're accustomed to working with (and maybe looking to work with) the very bottom of the barrel. Telling a professional writer that work shouldn't be plagiarized is a bit like saying it must be in the target language or the words must be spelled correctly--if you have to specify those things, the person you're hiring is not a writer.

Community Guru
Renata S Member Since: Jun 10, 2014
12 of 24

@Kim F wrote:

Agreed about the wrong buzz phrases - personally, I'm not so bothered by 'take direction' but 'purple cow' makes me want to bang my head on a wall. 'No plaigiarism will be tolerated' starts from the point of view that the freelancer is here to rip people off and is insulting; talking about a 'long term relationship' can be off-putting if the rate appears low, and so on.

Agreed about the 'purple cow' postings. On the other hand, clients may be trying to filter applications when they are getting too many from people who may not even speak English or the language required for the job. But there are better ways to do this. 

I'm starting to take the 'no plaigiarism' comments as a red flag. In some cases, that might also be someone trying to find a freelancer to write a university assignment. I'm not sure I mind that in a posting because it helps me know who to avoid.

But Kelly's trying to figure out how to avoid being avoided as a client. 

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
13 of 24

Hi Kelly,

I'm sorry you haven't received a response to your recent job post yet. I'll ask our dedicated team to reach out to you, review the job you posted and assist you directly.

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
14 of 24

Amen to "Telling a professional writer that work shouldn't be plagiarized is a bit like saying it must be in the target language or the words must be spelled correctly--if you have to specify those things, the person you're hiring is not a writer."

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
15 of 24

Translators get the "no word by word translation" or "no machine translation" all the time :-)

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Ace Contributor
João P Member Since: May 23, 2017
16 of 24

And Designers get " no stock/clipart images, vector or logos" followed by the threatning "We will check".

When you're replying to a job with already a preconceived idea of the outcome, it's an uphill battle trying to justify all your steps to the client.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
17 of 24

Hi All,

Unfortunately, we won't be able to allow links to job postings in the Community. However, it's okay to share a rough description of the job and preferences the client selected in the job.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Kelly Q Member Since: May 21, 2017
18 of 24

Got it, thanks!  In that case, here is the subject line and description:

Title:

Professional Query Letter(s) Needed 

Description: 

I am looking for a writer who can craft a professional query letter that will be used to "apply for" guest post opportunities in business and industry publications.  

Sample publications include those listed here, , as well as niche industry print media.

The deliverable will be a letter that ideally we can use as a template and modify for different publications as needed. 

Details: 

• Project Type: One-time project
  • Other Skills: Content Writing Letter Writing Sales Letters SEO Writing Writing

Less than 30 hrs/week
Hourly

Less than 1 week
Project Length

$$$
Expert Level
I am willing to pay higher rates for the most experienced freelancers

September 18, 2017
Start Date
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
19 of 24

oh ok, well that's weird. I think it might be the template thing? I'm not sure. I was expecting something terrible but that's not bad.

Community Guru
Kim F Member Since: Aug 26, 2015
20 of 24

There's text missing from the post. The sample publications don't appear and there's no indication of the type of industry .

It might work better as fixed price. However, "modify for different publications as needed" suggests the modifying could go on and on and on...

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS