🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: No or few proposals to new jobs
Page options
outsourcerer
Community Member

No or few proposals to new jobs

It seems that lately, I have unusually few proposals. I don't know if this is an algorithmic issue with the system, bad luck in my posting strategy, or what.  Here's an example post:
https://www.upwork.com/jobs/~01a2b3d8ffbfa95a58

I'd expect there to be a bunch of hits for a simple post like this one, but 0 applications in the past 16 hours? Seems off.

10 REPLIES 10
lysis10
Community Member

Brian B wrote:

It seems that lately, I have unusually few proposals. I don't know if this is an algorithmic issue with the system, bad luck in my posting strategy, or what.  Here's an example post:
https://www.upwork.com/jobs/~01a2b3d8ffbfa95a58

I'd expect there to be a bunch of hits for a simple post like this one, but 0 applications in the past 16 hours? Seems off.

A couple of things. First, it's the weekend so lots of people aren't even looking at Upwork. Second, this seems like it'll just be a very short, cheap job and most people are going for larger jobs because they have to pay for connects. Also, that last bad rating is probably scaring off some freelancers.

This job actually seems awesome for someone starting out on Upwork, but you have the limitation of $1k earned, so you are telling those people that you don't want them. People making decent money on the platform will likely skip this. If this was in my category, I'd probably skip it too just because it's easy but meh I can make more doing something else.

Good tips from Jennifer.

Definitely try removing the limitations, such as ONLY inviting freelancers with $1000 in earnings.

I find a lot of success in hiring for small jobs using hourly contracts. I hired someone within fifteen minutes for a job I posted a couple weeks ago.

But I place no restrictions. And I don't require a cover letter.

Thanks, Preston, for the thoughts. I'll try removing "restrictions" (I thought they were more of "preferences").

It's tricky indicating preferences upfront (e.g. $1k in earnings) when I don't know how many candidates are interested prior to stating these preferences: I make some assumptions (e.g. there will be many applicants) and adjust my pickiness-level based on these assumptions. Also, I think if I don't make the correct assumptions upfront, then it's almost too late: the algorithm will not surface the job if I later correct the preferences to accomodate for a low number of applicants (the guessing game needs to happen correctly upfront for a successful posting)

Thanks for the feedback. It's interesting that it comes across as a "cheap" job since I indicated that I'm willing to pay for the most experienced freelancers, but maybe that doesn't come across in the post, or carries little weight in practice.

Brian B wrote:

Thanks for the feedback. It's interesting that it comes across as a "cheap" job since I indicated that I'm willing to pay for the most experienced freelancers, but maybe that doesn't come across in the post, or carries little weight in practice.

When I say "cheap" I don't mean as in rate. I mean what kind of money would someone make on this? Like an hour maybe? I would be ok with that if you invited me, but I also charge a lot more than most people in my category and don't have weird problems with talking to people. I wouldn't bid in the open marketplace on it though, just because I can make more money doing something else. If you invited me, I'd probably bid. I've done an hour's worth of work before but it was from an invitation. 

I think most freelancers who earned money on the platform wouldn't spend connects on this because some $10/hour programmer would only get like $5 after fees and taxes and all that fun stuff.

I think most freelancers who earned money on the platform wouldn't spend connects on this because some $10/hour programmer would only get like $5 after fees and taxes and all that fun stuff.

I see. I realize that the incentives for freelancers to apply to jobs are somewhat opaque to the client (me) on this platform with the new limited / paid connects system. 

Brian, the average hourly rate for all your hires is $6.98. Nothing you can do to change that short-term but it might contribute to the perception of a "cheap job". Also, the job requires 6 connects to apply and you haven't stated you're hiring multiple freelancers so experienced app developers probably don't find the job too appealing. 

ETA: time tracker probably won't work on a Skype chat because there's no keyboard activity so time would be recorded manually, which wouldn't be guaranteed. 

One last observation: the job duration should have been set to less than 1 month. That way, the job would probably only require 2 connects.

I think the issue is the job itself. Most programmers are writing code, not promoting or coming up with stuff. And I don't think there are successful CEO's working as a freelancer for fun. People that post jobs would be able to answer you question, not the ones that apply to them. You need something of a business coach/consultant in the IT industry. Those don't have much to do with the categories you chose.

joansands
Community Member

Brian - Google Hangouts? A lot of people will run for the hills when they see that because it is used by scammers!

That's an interesting one. I haven't heard this before!

Latest Articles
Learning Paths