🐈
» Forums » Clients » No response to invitation?
Page options
9ea0bb1a
Community Member

No response to invitation?

I've put out invitations but most don't respond. Saying "not interested" is OK, but I don't know what to do about no response. Does that just stay on the record?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Beasley,

Our team will reach out to you via ticket and email to assist you further with improving your job post/s and how to find the right talent.
Please keep in mind that is not allowed to post a link from your job post or to share private details publicly in the Community. 
I can also suggest to check out our resources Here and learn more about how to utilize Upwork. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Beasley G wrote:

I've put out invitations but most don't respond. Saying "not interested" is OK, but I don't know what to do about no response. Does that just stay on the record?

What do you mean?

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I've put out invitations but most don't respond. Saying 'not interested' is OK, but I don't know what to do about no response."

Do nothing.

Don't think about it.

It is not part of your life.

re: "Does that just stay on the record?"

The short answer is:

No

A longer, more technical answer is:
Upwork is a database-based software system.

These things are indeed permanently tracked within the database.

But if you don't get a response, that has no permanent impact on you. It won't hurt your chances of success or impact you negatively, if that is what you are wondering about.

martinceisel
Community Member

Don't think it matters? I mean are you getting your jobs filled with good hires? If you're having trouble hiring through direct invitations, maybe your messaging could use some adjustment. 

I have had responses from a couple of people from the Phillipines. I offered an interview, but one of them reported her mother died hours ago, not up to it. That's understandable. I'd like to have someone from the US for the sake of time zone compatibility. I assume that someone from another country is not necessarily a problem, but I have a 13 hour difference with the Phillipines. I just got a response from one US person, but as I look at her reviews, I'm seeing quite a bit of negative that I didn't notice before.

My need isn't a conventional business, so maybe my presentation isn't the best. Can I get some feedback on that?

Of course you need to think about it and make adjustments if you aren’t achieving the results you seek.

But we don’t think about individual instances of not receiving a result.

If I post a job and am able to hire the people I need, then I have achieved my desired result. I don’t think about the people I sent direct invites to and never heard from.

I often post jobs and hire excellent freelancers within ten minutes, and those hired end up being able to do sophisticated, complex work. I know how to write effective job postings.

If you are having difficulties with this, tell us more about your situation so that we can offer advice.

I'm sure open to feedback. Here is my post: **Edited for Community Guidelines**

I'm in my 70s and retired. Decades ago, I've done a lot of hiring, but times have changed. This is a genealogy project that is important to me. For years it has been beyond what I can accomplish alone. I've tried to attract volunteers, but I need a better infrastructure to do that. I have ideas about what to do but stuck moving it forward.

I've had a couple of people helping me for pay. One got a full time job. The other is doing OK with working on my website, but doesn't seem to be suited to the rest of my needs. I've tried "spreading the word" among people I know, posting on genealogy bulletin boards I frequent. Previously, I had looked at on-line services but the methods seemed geared to businesses. Upwork, looked a little more approachable so I thought I'd give it a try.

I admit that I'm not as clear about what I expect. I have a few specific tasks in mind, but a lot of needs that I'm not sure how to define clearly enough. I can talk about the project to the point that I bore people's faces off and I don't want to do that.

So far, I'm not getting satisfactory responses. Any suggestions?

Hi Beasley,

Our team will reach out to you via ticket and email to assist you further with improving your job post/s and how to find the right talent.
Please keep in mind that is not allowed to post a link from your job post or to share private details publicly in the Community. 
I can also suggest to check out our resources Here and learn more about how to utilize Upwork. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Beasley:

You CAN succeed here as a client.

You may need to make some adjustments in hiring strategies.

One thing to keep in mind is that nobody wants to work on “the Beasley” project.

Think about what it is you need, and post jobs for people to do those things.

There ARE people who want to work as a project manager.

There ARE people who want to do photo editing.

There ARE people who want to create websites.

Etc.

If you focus on hiring team members who can do what you need, things which require a specific type of expertise, that will be a more successful approach.

Also: I recommend posting only hourly jobs. Not fixed-price. But be open to hiring freelancers using fixed-price if they ask to use fixed-price instead of hourly.

If you want to get people to work on your project for free, YOU MAY INDEED BE ABLE TO DO THAT. You could hire people on Upwork as consultants who can offer ideas about how to do that. You won’t recruit the volunteers here on Upwork, but you may be able to hire volunteerism consultants here on Upwork.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths