cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not Getting Any Feedback From My Freelancer

Highlighted
Paul T Member Since: Mar 10, 2016
1 of 10

I have a project out and I have tried to get an update from my freelancer but I have received nothing after almost two weeks. The project in question isn't due until the end of March I was just asking how it was going. Next steps? If I do not hear from him before the end of the month is there a way to cancel the project if i needed to?

Thanks,

Paul

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 10

Paul,

If there are time-critical elements to this project, why are you using only one freelancer?

You should be using at least two.

Paul T Member Since: Mar 10, 2016
3 of 10

Well, since I am new to Upwork and using Freelancers in general, I did not know I should hire two. So, do I hire two and whoever gets it done first gets the money? I like working with one person. If they say they will do it, my expectation is they will get it done. If they do not, then terribele reviews ensue but they everyone gets the bebeift of the doubt to begin with? Naive? Maybe, but that's how I roll.

Thanks for the heads up for future deals.

Paul

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
4 of 10

I think it would depend on the project. If you hire two freelancers, they will both need to be paid. I am going to make a guess that you can contact Upwork Support and maybe they will check on your freelancer's status.

Community Guru
5 of 10

re: "If they say they will do it, my expectation is they will get it done."

I agree.

And I have found that about 80 to 90% of the time on Upwork, this is the case.

(On CraigsList, it's about 75% of the time, which still isn't too bad.)

So it comes down to how time-critical the project is, and also what caliber of contractors you are hiring, and what their schedule is.

If your project is not too expensive and it IS time critical, then go ahead and hire two, three or four contractors. If there isn't much cost involved, the worst-scenario is you paid a little more than you had to, but you have multiple options to choose from and you pretty much guarantee that you'll get the work done on time.

Community Guru
6 of 10

re: "So, do I hire two and whoever gets it done first gets the money?"

Depending on how you set up the contracts, YES, that's exactly what happens.

I'm pretty lenient and easy-going as a client, but sometimes contractors don't get the money.

Here are some examples:

Last year I hired 5 web designers to do css-based design for a website, a site for which I only had content, no design. I told them I wanted the work within 2 days. These were all hourly contracts.

Four of the designers turned in designs within a few days. I took all their input, mixed and matched it, and came up with the final design for my website. The 5th web designer never turned in anything. After 4 days, I closed the contract.

A little over a month ago I hired two talented graphic artists to create a cover illustration. I only needed one illustration, but I hired two people. I usually hire multiple contractors for projects like this. This was a fixed-price contract with a generous rate. The escrow was fully funded.

One contractor (from China) turned in the project the next morning. (And it was awesome, by the way.)

The other contractor emailed me a week later and said he was busy with other projects but would get to my project within about a week. I said that was fine.

Two days ago, after more than a month had gone by, I simply closed the project. The contractor agreed to a full refund. There won't be any negative feedback on his profile. I figure he didn't really want to do the project anyway.

So, yes, sometimes the first contractor to finish the job is the only one who gets the money.

Adina Z Member Since: Feb 10, 2016
7 of 10

its a pretty sad case that contractors are so unriable that we now have to hire multiple people for one job???

Community Guru
8 of 10

re: "its a pretty sad case that contractors are so unriable that we now have to hire multiple people for one job???"

This has always been the possibility, in any human endeavor.

Michael J. Fox was not the first actor hired to play Marty McFly in "Back to the Future." A different actor was originally hired, didn't work out, and weeks of filming had to be re-done once Fox was hired.

It happens.

It is better to work with the right contractor than the first contractor.

Community Guru
Heath S Member Since: Mar 16, 2016
9 of 10

@Preston H wrote:

Michael J. Fox was not the first actor hired to play Marty McFly in "Back to the Future." A different actor was originally hired, didn't work out, and weeks of filming had to be re-done once Fox was hired. 

Wow.  TIL.  

Community Guru
Muhammad Saif U Member Since: Oct 18, 2015
10 of 10

If at the time of hiring you make right decision and hire right fit for your job, then there is no need to worry about.

Always have look on profile of freelancers and check if they have completed any large projects i.e over $1000 or more with positive reviews. If yes, hire them, they will not afford to lose their reputation by poor working.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS