cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not able to delete ONLY client account

Highlighted
Herinson R Member Since: Feb 29, 2016
1 of 27

I'm trying to delete only my client account. It has no members or active contracts.

The problem is that the link for account deletion in the Client settings section is the same for deleting the freelancer account.

A friend of mine who was new to Upwork accidentally created a client account for the first time. Then, he created a freelancer account and tried to delete the client account. What happened next is that all of his accounts were deleted.

The same is happening with me. The only difference is that I'm not able to delete my freelancer account because I have an open contract as freelancer.

Anyway, I'm not trying to delete my freelancer account, but the client account deletion link points to the wrong location.

As client

1. Select my client account in the upper right corner.

2. Go to Settings > My Info

3. Link for account deletion is https://www.upwork.com/UserSettings/profile/close-account

As freelancer

1. Select my freelancer account in the upper right corner.

2. Go to Settings > Contact Info

3. In the account info section, the link for closing account points to https://www.upwork.com/UserSettings/profile/close-account.

So, they're the same!! What's the correct link for deleting only my client account?

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 27

Why do you need to delete ONLY your client account?

Just don't use it.

It's like there's a piece of scotch tape stuck on the underside of the back deck at the cabin your grandparents own in Colorado.

Nobody can see the tape unless they crawl under the deck and look for it.

If you don't look at it, it won't affect you.

3 of 27

This is not a harsh answer, but the reason is simply because I want to close this account.

If there's a link for closing my client account under the settings section, why does it not work?

And if it doesn't work, why does it exist?

Community Guru
Ryan C Member Since: Feb 3, 2017
BEST ANSWER
4 of 27

Hello Herinson,

I'm sorry to hear that. I have escalated your concern. One of our representatives will close your Client account shortly. Thank you.

Untitled
5 of 27

Hi, Ryan!

Thanks for that!

So, it seems one is not possible to delete only a client account following the steps at Upwork FAQs.

I think this feature should me removed or at least it shoud be some sort of note in the docs regarding to this issue.

Navin S Member Since: Jul 18, 2017
6 of 27

Hello Ryan

I am unable to delete client account from my freelancer account. Please remove it from there. I have created it by mistake.

Joanne Marie P Moderator Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
7 of 27

Hi Navin,

We've deleted your client account from our end. Thanks!

-Joanne
Untitled
Jessica D Member Since: Jun 29, 2018
8 of 27
Thank you!

Kristina R Member Since: Nov 20, 2018
9 of 27

Hello,

Can you please delete my account as well? It seems you've purposefully altered the UI so there is no way for users to do this themselves. 

Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
10 of 27

Hi Kristina,

We have closed your account from our end. Thank you.

~ Bojan
Untitled
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS