cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not allowed to hire a beta reader?

Dijana J Member Since: Nov 24, 2015
1 of 10

Hi,

I tried to post a job looking for a beta reader, like I was able to do on Elance, and the job was closed by Upwork because apparently "feedback for a book" is against Upwork's policy. I contacted the support, but I keep getting the same copy-paste answer. Is it not possible to hire editors and beta readers on Upwork? I have a feeling Upwork thinks beta readers are paid reviewers, which they are obviously not. Has anyone sucessfully hired an editor or a beta reader here?

This has never happened to me on Elance and I don't know what to do. Even the job description was just copied from Elance because I need the same job done just for another book. I guess I shouldn't have used the word "feedback" in the description, but I'm afraid to try to repost the job without it. The last thing I need is get my account suspended because people don't understand the difference between a reviewer and a beta reader. Or beta reading and editing just can't be done here like it could be on Elance?

Thanks.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 10

Try using the wording that other clients use for this.

If you adjust the wording sufficiently, you should be able to get this past Upwork filters, which are trying to block something that is against Upwork rules. They're not trying to block legitimate job postings such as yours.

3 of 10

Thanks for your reply. I guess I'm just scared because they said "Please make sure your future jobs adhere to this policy to avoid possible account interruption." I don't know how many tries I have before they do that since I don't know what wording in my job description the filters react to. I suppose it's the word "feedback," but I'm not sure about it. I'll try to see if I can find a job similar to mine posted somewhere. 

Community Guru
Julianne G Member Since: Oct 21, 2015
4 of 10

Yes, it is most certainly the word "feedback", but it may also be other words... hard to tell without seeing the post.   Stick with "critique" or "review". 

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
5 of 10

They are over paranoid because Amazon is cracking down and even sued some of the bigger review sites. 

6 of 10

I understand their concerns, but couldn't this filter check things before posting? I have to keep reposting the job, only to have it canceled almost immediately, which seems to lower the hire rate on my profile and maybe even gets my account suppended. It's frustrating. I removed the word "feedback" and a few other words that might be a problem, so now I'm waiting to see what happens. 

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 10

There are automated filters that are simply the best attempt by programmers to implement certain logic that their managers asked them to implement. The filters aren't very "smart," so that can't necessarily understand what you intended. They're based on simply string filters. That's good and bad news.

Bad news because the filters can be a pain.

Good news because they're simple to work around once you know the offending words to avoid.

8 of 10

Yes, exactly. I just wish someone in support had told me that or recognized that it was a legit job. They put a person's name when they send out those warnings, so I tend to forget those are automatic filters and not someone actually thinking I'm asking for paid reviews. Anyway, the job went through this time and I hope everything will be fine.

Community Guru
Olga Q Member Since: Sep 5, 2012
9 of 10

I find it really strange. On Saturday, I have flagged a job  where the "client" says he prefers Paypal and nothing happened. But it seems your job posted deserved their prompt attention.

Community Guru
Cairenn R Member Since: Aug 19, 2015
10 of 10

Personally, I think beta reading is a waste of time. There are tons of resources for indie authors, including groups where beta readers do not charge at all. Not sure why you think you have to pay for it. 

If you are looking for a professional editorial review (i.e., Kirkus), then yes, editors like myself do charge a fee and will most likely include that in the manuscript editing rate, if they agree to do both services. 

You need to decide if you want to go straight into hiring a proper editor that will do everything, or have a bunch of strangers give you suggestions (beta reading), then you have to pass it to an editor anyway to get the actual work done. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS