🐈
» Forums » Clients » Not getting access to the code (completed tas...
Page options
295209e8
Community Member

Not getting access to the code (completed task) - hourly contract

My freelancer logged the time manually and attached the timeline sheet that i provided to her and said the job is done. It was last week job bill's. I can see that from the contract page (Time & Payments) that last week bill's was stated paid and when i check my billing, i dont see any balance due. My card was rejected due to insufficient balance (I purposely do because as a backup when knowing hourly contract did not go to escrow account). 

My freelancer did not provide the code where i can verify that the job was completed. I also do not see the option to open the dispute. This is my first job. I am still waiting from the freelancer to reply.

My question is should i reload my account bank with the amount she claimed? Is the payment autommatically deduct from my card? As far as i understood, I need to verify her work before i make a payment. Sorry i am a bit confused how hourly contract works in term work verification and payment. I read the ToS and understood but seem it did not work out as what i understood.

Appreciate any advise or can someone shed somelight in my case. Thank you. 

6 REPLIES 6
sjbercot
Community Member

If the freelancer didn't work on your project, you can dispute any manual hours, and I believe you are right now in the review period so you can dispute them. In general, you want to be sure to review hours and deliverables weekly for any hourly contracts.

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "As far as i understood, I need to verify her work before i make a payment."

You do not need to very her work.

You do not need to approve her work.

If a freelancer logged time on an hourly contract, then Upwork will AUTOMATICALLY bill your credit card.

You don't need to do anything.

After the work week ends (midnight, on Sunday), there is a five-day review period.

During the review period, if he freelancer logged time manually, then you may click a button to dispute the hours, and Upwork will remove those hours from what you need to pay for.

PradeepH

Hi Mohd,

Thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear about your experience with a freelancer. Please note that payments on the Hourly contracts are automatically taken from your card. Every Monday, you'll be invoiced for the previous week's hours based on your freelancers' Work Diaries. Please ensure you have a valid billing method on your account to avoid account interruptions. You can refer to this help page for more information. If you need to verify work or file a dispute for the logged hours for the previous week, you must do so by Friday of this week.

Thank you

Pradeep

Upwork

Hi there. thanks for the reply. I understood that part.

Basically the job is done as claimed by freelancer. But i did not get the code or completed work. She logged the time manually on the other part. So what should i do if freelancer refused to cooperate (give the code)? 

Thanks

re: "Basically the job is done as claimed by freelancer. But i did not get the code or completed work."

Maybe you think that it is "good" tha the job is done as claimed by the freelancer.

But I don't care.

The freelancer did not give me the source code or the completed work.

So I don't care that the job was done.

Job Done Without Giving Me Source Code = Job Not Done

re: "She logged the time manually on the other part. So what should i do if freelancer refused to cooperate (give the code)?"

This is a simple matter.

I'm not going to pay her.

All I need to do is dispute the hourly time. Then I don't need to pay her.

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211062158-Dispute-an-Agency-or-Freelancer-s-Hours

I'm sorry that I wasted my time with her.
But at least I did not need to pay her anything.

I will hire somebody else. Somebody who will give me the source code.

aliansoftwarellc
Community Member

- At a time of awarding an hourly contract, there would be an option to allow / disallow manual hours. So if you wish to avoid freelancer logging manual hours then you may choose inappropriate option as mentioned above.

- In hourly contract, invoices are generated on weekly basis. So make sure to review hours billed vs the work you are expecting to be done. If you think that it's excessive time as compare to expected then you can't ask the freelancer to cancel partial billing but you may simply have an option to end the contract and move on with other freelancer.

- For the safety of freelancers, there's a system where clients payment method will be charged after generation of weekly invoice. 

- As you mentioned that you couldn't find an option to file a dispute. Shall I know whether you already ended a contract or not? What's the status of the contract for now?

Latest Articles
Learning Paths