cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Not getting applicants for a pretty easy job posting

Jake W Member Since: Mar 18, 2019
21 of 34

Very honest and thoughtful responses outta Preston.  Update:  My hired freelancer has submitted a perfect rough draft of what I was expecting, and will fine-tune the rest after my feedback....  For $5.  (Don't worry, I'll be gladly awarding a bonus payment)  

But this is exactly the beauty of Upwork, in my brief experience.  After several comments on this thread, however, I'm now a bit more leary of freelancer bids for a "complex" job.  

Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
22 of 34

I'm glad you're so happy.
I want to cry.

Community Leader
Anna T Member Since: Jan 27, 2017
23 of 34

Maria T wrote:

I'm glad you're so happy.
I want to cry.

Me too.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
24 of 34

Jake W wrote:

Very honest and thoughtful responses outta Preston.  Update:  My hired freelancer has submitted a perfect rough draft of what I was expecting, and will fine-tune the rest after my feedback....  For $5. 

Of which the freelancer will see $ 4.

Jake W wrote:

Very honest and thoughtful responses outta Preston. 

Preston with his $ 88 an hour rate obviously does not have to worry about clients paying him the price of a coffee for his work.

But sure, someone will always win the race to the bottom (interesting that you chose the freelancer who bid a third of your budget) as long as there are clients thrilled to exploit the desperation of others.

Jake W Member Since: Mar 18, 2019
25 of 34

I'm still pretty new, so constructive feedback is and has been appreciated.  I think I'm understanding some common criticisms here:  I need to propose my jobs with a bigger budget, and I don't have much of an idea what it actually takes for a professional to complete the task I'm asking.  

Should we agree that my job is very complex, and I should offer ... say....  $85 instead?  And if there's a seemingly qualified individual who offers to do it for much less... then....   

Community Leader
Anna T Member Since: Jan 27, 2017
26 of 34

Jake W wrote:

To a layman like myself, it seems like 20 minutes of work for a graphic pro

This is a recipe for disaster and a perfect example of a project I run from. “Easy”…. “20 minute job”. Spoken from experience I imagine. If it were so quick and easy why don’t you just do it yourself? I see “20 minute job” and immediately understand that that is all the time the client is willing to pay for and I’m personally unwilling to compromise my high standards to accommodate your low budget.

When all is said and done, this job is at least a couple of hours, and the pay (net 12) is not enough for me allocate any of my $70 monthly adobe subscription, let alone turn on my computer and store your images while working on them. In addition, your images are vectors so you might as well remove “photoshop” from your list of required fields. Good luck, you may actually get a well-executed image trace finished off in pirated old version of photoshop.

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
27 of 34

Jake W wrote:

Last year I had several similar postings that got a lot of applicants, but this current post hasn't received any offers.  (I have good reviews, and I even increased the amount...)  It's set for world-wide, low experience, etc.  Any thoughts?

It doesn't matter how "easy" you think a job is, freelancers should be paid for their knowledge and experience. I just looked at the files you're asking someone to work with. Bad clip art requiring well more than 15 minutes of work to come up with anything that looks halfway decent. They all seem to be on a pink-colored background that I assume has to be removed. Subtract fees and self-employment taxes from what you're offering to understand why many will balk at $15. 

It's hard to imagine that someone's budget is so tight that $15 is the max, and that for that price, unlimited revisions are asked for. For the freelancer, it's pretty much akin to working for free.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Luce N Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
28 of 34

Please remember that freelancers are not just virtual services, they are like you and me, they need to make money to live.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
29 of 34

I feel that some of the "concern" expressed here is misplaced.

Artists who work on Upwork are free to market their services as they see fit.

What may seem tricky or difficult or time-consuming to some of you may be very easy, enjoyable, and not particularly time-consuming for the right artist.

Not every job is an involved project that a freelancer is going to spend months on and use that money to buy food for the 12 adopted baby seals they rescued from an orphanage.

As a freelancer, I have personally done jobs for between $5.00 to $15.00.

For some tasks, that's what the job is worth.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
30 of 34

Preston H wrote:

I feel that some of the "concern" expressed here is misplaced.

You would. You absolutely would. Nothing surprising about that at all.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS