Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not getting applicants for a pretty easy job posting

Community Guru
Bill H Member Since: Aug 18, 2017
31 of 34

Jake,

I am a freelancer and client; I have no graphic arts skills The job description is a turnoff for a professional. "I am looking for the lowest rates" tells me the work isn't important to you and that quality will be an afterthought. As a professional, regardless of domain, I won't cheapen my brand with this kind of work. You give detailed instructions on how to do the work, which is another turnoff for a creative professional. Tell me your desired end state, not how to get there.

Freelancers don't "deserve" to be paid any particular amount, and you have to determine the work's value to you. That said, experienced professionals won't ever see this job. I filter job posts by Expert, minimum $251 budget, and a few other things. Your post is perfectly designed to hire someone who is desperate, exactly the kind of freelancer you don't want.

You've had similar job posts. If you have an ongoing need for a graphic artist, you'll be best served by an ongoing relationship. I have a graphic artist whom I message with my requirements, she fills them and bills me. Simple. I sent a business book manuscript to my non-fiction editor, he'll bill me, we never discussed price. Over twenty years I've established ongoing relationships with more than a dozen freelancers, and it works out well.

You want an image of a mascot. "Need tennis mascot. My thinking is a combination of parts of the three attached images (indicate what parts). Please indicate price for basic vector image, price for full-color image, and price for an animated gif. Budget is a major consideration." Invitation only, spend an hour or two going over portfolios, invite eight to ten. You might pay $75 to get a great artist in an ongoing relationship.

Jake W Member Since: Mar 18, 2019
32 of 34

What a fine and considerate response.  This is purely a whimsical, silly embellishment (clearly) that is certainly not that "important" to me.  If I get a lackluster product for $15, then I can absorb that cost and carry on.  I love the creative process, personally, but without the graphic design skills I'm obviously resigned to this site and any entry-level freelancers willing to try my idea.  I guess in a sense, I'm slowly trying to find that relationship you speak of (once or twice a year).  My project verbiage was pretty poor and hasty this time around, so I apprectiate the advice there!  

Dallas H Member Since: Nov 8, 2019
33 of 34

Hi Jake,

Really interesting topic. I'm glad to hear you found someone. I'm a client as well and often have the opposite issue with some of my job posts. I occasionally get flooded with numerous applicants who are at a lower hourly rate than I request. 

On a recent job, I specified a $20-$40 hourly rate and provided a detailed description. I expected more experienced applicants to apply. Instead, the vast majority of applicants sought $10-$20/hr. The problem is most (but usually not all) of these freelancers are below my requested skill/experience level. I take the time to review each application thoroughly so it can be frustrating when I have to archive many ill-suited applications. To add insult to injury, my understanding is that jobs with numerous proposals aren't as appealing to freelancers.

I've found it helps to require previous work product examples and to provide detailed screening questions. For example I may ask potential web development applicants to provide the correct solution to a php bug I have encountered in the past. I may also dive into man pages to produce challenging questions. It's easy to filter out applicants who provide spam-type responses to the screening questions.

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
34 of 34

Dallas H wrote:

I've found it helps to require previous work product examples and to provide detailed screening questions. 

As long as you don't use the stupid boilerplate questions that Upwork provides. To many experimented freelancers, this one included, this is a deterrent.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS