🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Not happy with how project is going
Page options
467023d2
Community Member

Not happy with how project is going

What do I do if I’m not happy with how my project is going? He’s over deadline and when I raise my concerns he gets mad. I tried to book telephone consult with upworks to raise my concerns but only middle of the night or very early am appointment times are available?
7 REPLIES 7
petra_r
Community Member

Jasmine K wrote:
What do I do if I’m not happy with how my project is going? He’s over deadline and when I raise my concerns he gets mad. I tried to book telephone consult with upworks to raise my concerns but only middle of the night or very early am appointment times are available?

No point to have "a phone consult with Upwork."

If you are not happy with how the contract is going and the freelancer and you are not getting on, end the contract ad hire someone else.

467023d2
Community Member

But I have paid him half of the money ie his first milestone. That milestone was to get started on the project, how do I get that money back and also how do I get my money back that is in escrow?Can I please just talk to an upworks representative on the phone it would be much easier? And can it be at a reasonable time based on Brisbane time?
petra_r
Community Member

Jasmine K wrote:
1) But I have paid him half of the money ie his first milestone. That milestone was to get started on the project, how do I get that money back and also

2)how do I get my money back that is in escrow?

1)How long ago did you pay the first milestone? (NEVER pay before you have a deliverable.)

A first milestone that has "Get started" as a deliverable may be hard to dispute because by definition, the deliverable of that milestone was met.  You can also only dispute milestones that were released less than 30 days ago.

You can request a refund from the freelancer, via the "request refund" option on the contract.

2) You can close the contract and request a return of the Escrow funds. The freelancer can either accept, dispute or ignore that request.

If the freelancer acceptsm the escrow funds go straight back to you.

If he rejects the request, it goes to Dispute

If he ignores the request, the funds come back to you after 7 days.

467023d2
Community Member

Why isn’t that don’t pay until deliverable on your site? What a joke, why would he accept, he will just dispute because he has nothing to lose! What happens in dispute?
I just can’t believe I wasted this kind of money for nothing!
petra_r
Community Member

Jasmine K wrote:
Why isn’t that don’t pay until deliverable on your site?

It is kind of logical and explained in the client material that a milestone should have a defined deliverable. That is the whole point of Escrow.

How long ago did you release the first milestone?

Jasmine K wrote:
 What happens in dispute?

The first step is mediation, which is a process where an Upwork mediator attempts to help find an amicable solution. If that fails, the next step would be arbitration to get a legally binding ruling. This costs you, the freelancer and Upwork $ 291 (each) and will decide over any funds in Escrow and, if you released the first milestone less than 30 days ago, funds paid under the first milestone.

467023d2
Community Member

Ok not sure if you are aware but your message is a bit condescending, it is the first time I used upworks so it might seem logical to you but I had no idea.I paid less then 30days ago the first milestone.How do I proceed from here? Do I just click end contract or is there another first step?
Thanks 
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jasmine, 

I'm sorry to learn about your experience with this freelancer. The Support Team has reached out to you through an email to assist you further.

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths