cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not paying fixed-rate contract - Particular Case

Simone B Member Since: Oct 26, 2019
1 of 24

Hello,

I am engaging with a difficult freelancer.

A couple of weeks ago we started a project that should have been delivered in around 10 days.

After starting, the freelancer went unresponsive and not giving me updates.

When I asked for update he was elusive, so after 3-4 days like this I messaged to him that he was not a professional and that I was very disappointed.

He instantly answered to me, while showing me a simple image of its work, and ended the contract saying that he has some difficulties to respect the deadlines.

Then I knew that he has completed 10% of the work when he should have completed at least 60% at that time.

At that point, as I didn't want to also have wasted my time, I said to him that we could create another contract and that he must give me constant updates or let me know if there are some issues.

Several times he was unresponsive or he said that he would have delivered part of the work at a specific time, but actually he showed up later or whenever he wanted. Really frustrating.

Then he told me that he has big family problems. I have been empathetic but now we are at the third contract with a formal today deadline and he told me that he would have delivered the work yesterday. Of course no work has been delivered, he didn't write me anything so far.

Apart from the quality of the work that was not so satisfying, I am very angry that I have to pay someone with so little professionalism. Personal problems should be handled better, as I could have hired someone else.

Is there a way that I could end the contract without paying him or is it impossible? He hasn't formally delivered anything through the "Send the work and require payment" button.

Looking forward to your answers. Thanks in advance.

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
2 of 24
Simone, you can just close the contract, and unless the freelancer disputes it, you will be refunded all the money in escrow. Once you receive your money, you can hire someone else.
3 of 24

Yes, but the problem is that my freelancer surely would dispute it as it has probably quite ended the work.

So what can I do?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 24

Simone B wrote:

Yes, but the problem is that my freelancer surely would dispute it as it has probably quite ended the work.

So what can I do?

How much money are we talking about?

5 of 24

260$

Community Guru
6 of 24

Simone B wrote:

260$

Try to negotiate a part payment with the freelancer. If the work is nearly done the freelancer will expect to be paid (not without justification) - and a dispute costs nerves and may not lead to a result. Arbitration costs $ 291 so....

If you want to use the work, you have to pay it in full.

Maybe next time you just use a different freelancer after the first time someone demonstrates that they are not a great match. It baffles me that you are now on contract number 3 (2 of which were unpaid and will greatly harm the freelancer's JSS.)

7 of 24

What do you mean by "not without justification"?

Community Guru
8 of 24

Simone B wrote:

What do you mean by "not without justification"?

If a freelancer has completed the work, they rightly expect to be paid for it.

Ideally you should have taken the hint when the freelancer walked away from your profect the first time, and just hired someone else there and then.

9 of 24

Ok so I will leave a really bad review.

Maybe this is the only chanche that I have.

Community Guru
10 of 24

Simone B wrote:

Ok so I will leave a really bad review.

Maybe this is the only chanche that I have.

The only chance for what?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS