cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odesk Contractor Scam - Bill for Many Hours and Not Deliver any Work

Ayesha S Member Since: Nov 22, 2009
11 of 37
Hi James, Someone from Support will be in touch with you shortly regarding this issue. Hope this gets solved in your favor!
oDesk Forum Moderator Always reach for the skies, for even if you fall, you'll still be on the top of the world...
Vladimir C Member Since: Aug 16, 2013
12 of 37
Hello James. This issue occurs when you want a non proven freelancer with low feedback rating but very cheap price.. You said that its not a lot of money so it has to be some cheap provider. As always, oDesk suggests to hire a freelancer which has fair prices at some level of professionalism and skills. Im really sorry for this happened to you, but keep in mind that the cheapest is not also the best. Kind regards
Dani K Member Since: Jun 18, 2011
13 of 37
I have seen so many versions of contractors scamming like this. They change their ways so many times you can't keep up. I just had another issue, even knowing what to look for I always end up with someone who tries to **** eventually. I really get annoyed with the ones who swear they know how to do something and don't. *[Removed by Admin]
Parminder S Member Since: Feb 13, 2009
14 of 37
Hi James & Dani, I can understand your feelings here as I've gone through same phase many a times in my small career and always looking for IMPROVISING my work strategy with the team i.e. both Employees & Clients. I think more precautions need to be taken here which may include: 1. Paid "Trial Project" to evaluate the contractor for deadlines, behavior & quality. 2. Hire only those contractors who are willing to take two steps closer to your work, rather than those who want each and everything served in their plates. 3. Make it absolutely clear with the contractor first that Weekly Reports are MUST. For few days initially, they'd have to provide DAILY Reports too. I've delivered Daily Reports for many projects for the first 3 days and then on the weekly basis. As you move ahead with the project timeline, the Weekly Reports become Bi-Weekly Reports and then Monthly Reports. This is usually acceptable everywhere as you trust the contractor with the work. But to avoid this, you need to remind the contractor about the Weekly reports on Tuesday, if he doesn't deliver the reports. If the contractor does not reply in next 2 days, then limit the workload to ZERO hours and ask for the report first. I hope this situation never arises if the contractor is good and understands that Client needs to be prioritized. 4. Whether you work with Agency or Independent Contractor, ask for the PAST Report Sample while interviewing the candidate. Ask the contractor to provide at least one most recent sample report file over the Skype/Chat while you're conducting the interview. If the response time is more than 3-5 minutes to deliver such a Sample Report, then you can cancel the interview and move forward with the newer contractor. I hope these precautions will surely improve results for you.. ******** *[Removed by Admin]
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
15 of 37
[quote=Parminder Sehrawat] 4. Whether you work with Agency or Independent Contractor, ask for the PAST Report Sample while interviewing the candidate. [/quote] What a load of nonsense. I have never ever done a "report" or have been asked for one. I update my clients as and when needed by normal communication.... which is how professionals communicate. [quote] or you can hire me to get better results anytime.. Smiley Happy[/quote] This is the third post from you begging / sliming / asking for work. It's not allowed here, it's irritating as hell, unprofessional and makes you look desperate ....
Community Guru
Marissa S Member Since: Feb 6, 2008
16 of 37
Haha... saw another post from the same person in another thread. Not getting the message yet, er.. Just trollin' & preparin' to go into workathon mode in 3,2,1.. Smiley Happy
17 of 37
@Marissa.. I already got my second message now from the noreply@odesk email system..and may be they'll ban me now as I've already posted one new thread with some better ideas of mine.. Smiley Happy
Community Guru
Misty K Member Since: Feb 5, 2012
18 of 37
You have to slam the forums with such nonsense in hopes of getting some job? If you can't go about it the natural way (by applying through searching) then you're in need of some serious help. You've been warned several times and now you boast about it. You need to be banned. Quit spamming! Be professional!
19 of 37
@Petra..I don't know what type of work you do..but I prefer Reports as a better way for the clients to know what the contractor has done. If Reports are not improtant then why everyone asks for the Reports? The reports are created and managed by people who know how to work over any task. Clients require work reports to check the quantity & quality of the work done by any contractor. As for last line..I'm not desperate to beg for the work as I'm already working on long term projects for many clients over oDesk and out of oDesk both. No hard feelings, but I think you didn't understood this in the same sense.
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
20 of 37
[quote=Parminder Sehrawat]@Petra..I don't know what type of work you do..but I prefer Reports as a better way for the clients to know what the contractor has done.[/quote] And you suggest that a contractor hands over reports done for another client (!!!!!) to a complete stranger. It shows how little of a clue you have about business, and is actually a scary and ridiculous suggestion, especially with the idea that if the contractor does not provided within X minutes the interview should be ended bla bla. It takes a very special kind of idiot to come up with abject nonsense such as this - How DARE anyone suggest that reports done for another client should be handed to a prospective one. [quote] but I think you didn't understood this in the same sense. [/quote] Oh I understand just fine.
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS