cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odesk Contractor Scam - Bill for Many Hours and Not Deliver any Work

Community Guru
Natasha R Member Since: Aug 2, 2010
21 of 37
[quote=Petra R.][quote=Parminder Sehrawat]@Petra..I don't know what type of work you do..but I prefer Reports as a better way for the clients to know what the contractor has done.[/quote] And you suggest that a contractor hands over reports done for another client (!!!!!) to a complete stranger. It shows how little of a clue you have about business, and is actually a scary and ridiculous suggestion, especially with the idea that if the contractor does not provided within X minutes the interview should be ended bla bla. It takes a very special kind of idiot to come up with abject nonsense such as this - How DARE anyone suggest that reports done for another client should be handed to a prospective one. [quote] but I think you didn't understood this in the same sense. [/quote] Oh I understand just fine.[/quote]
Community Guru
Marissa S Member Since: Feb 6, 2008
22 of 37
Which is not anymore a secret now, but here it is: I just got hired right this very moment without showing this new client a sample report or the likes. In fact, there was a time when I got a positive reply leading to getting hired just by sending a one-liner. How did I achieve just that? Simple. Clients are tired getting sold to.. try really caring about getting their pain points resolved and you may just be looking at a short term gig turning into the longest running project you'll ever have here in Odesk. Clients are humans.. remember that too Smiley Wink
Exp U Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
23 of 37
[quote]4. Whether you work with Agency or Independent Contractor, ask for the PAST Report Sample while interviewing the candidate.[/quote] Anything I do for another client is confidential. I absolutely wouldn't hire someone who would cough up other people's private data on demand. This is very silly advice.
Parminder S Member Since: Feb 13, 2009
24 of 37
@Darren..why would anyone add "confidential data" from the past work in SAMPLE Reports? The sample reports are there to show only the work which is Publicly available and can be checked by the client for the Quality. Clients also understand the confidentiality aspect for the projects and will not be interested much in forcing you to provide them the data which is private. Every good advice for the client is treated as silly by the contractors..so no harm done.. Smiley Happy
Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
25 of 37
[quote=Parminder Sehrawat]@Darren..why would anyone add "confidential data" from the past work in SAMPLE Reports? The sample reports are there to show only the work which is Publicly available and can be checked by the client for the Quality. Clients also understand the confidentiality aspect for the projects and will not be interested much in forcing you to provide them the data which is private. Every good advice for the client is treated as silly by the contractors..so no harm done.. Smiley Happy[/quote] You do realize that the bulk of the work done here, is not publicly available, yes? That may work for a website or an article that one wrote, but I couldn't share a report for the last several years without violating NDA's left and right. You also suggested to time the response time on report requests. So even if someone had these ready-made previous reports that you speak of, how would one go about anonymizing it? You suggest that if it takes more than x minutes to reply, to end the interview. It's not so much that good advice (which is a relative term and should be judged by others btw Smiley Wink) is rejected. But the suggestion you made is very dangerous, because it potentially violates previous client's intellectual property rights. It also sounds to me that by doing that, one is justifying themselves - and the more one justifies, the less I'd want to hire them. A good portfolio gives a prospective client everything they need to evaluate ones skills.
Community Guru
Reynaldo M Member Since: Aug 4, 2012
26 of 37
Your Profile already shows your work history that shows work you have done, on going work, feedback, hours accumulated and even earnings. Then you also have a portfolio (assuming they are original and yours)so what's the need to submit a report of work done??... And your one liner saying "If you want better work, hire me" is an Advertisement and Advertising in the threads is a big NO NO.
Exp U Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
27 of 37
What passes between myself and a client is nobody else's business, in every possible sense of the phrase. I don't do anything that could be described as a formal 'report' anyway; it's an ongoing conversation between myself and a client that includes progress so far; missions accomplished; missions yet unfulfilled and why; problems encountered and possible solutions; and suggestions for improvements. None of this is in any formal structure; it's just whatever information needs to be exchanged at that point in the job. And I treat it all as confidential. Why on earth would you knock up a sample report? That tells the client absolutely nothing except your level of English (which they already know from the cover letter). If the contractor gave out an actual client communication with an actual client; then that would tell me not to hire them under any circumstances whatsoever. Sorry, but this is not good advice. For anyone. Keeping the client informed is an essential part of freelancing; but not everybody uses a formal 'Report' format.
Mark H Member Since: Feb 7, 2012
28 of 37
Thank you for the great advice. I will surely use this. To Petra and the others who have not liked the advice. Reports are great (yes, don't give your past reports) and will always help hire.
Community Guru
Misty K Member Since: Feb 5, 2012
29 of 37
If it is private content writing for a business? Or rather, it is a NDA specified report? How about having performed work for past clients where a freelancer has actually signed a confidentiality agreement barring any passing of work information? Many clients do this, so there is no report to be given. When I think of work reports I'm thinking of: A. data entry B. Accounting C. Excel files D. Filing Systems E. Applications None of these tasks can really fall into a report type of file: A. Web Content B. Landing Page C. Power Point D. Medical Documentation E. Ebook Production F. Translation G. Product Reviews H. Sales Page and on, and on. Work reports are more for traditional lines of employment. I've NEVER, NEVER had a client expect me to show them some REPORT. If I did, I'm afraid it would be a big fat NO.
Ashiq T Member Since: Feb 10, 2014
30 of 37
What I'm really missing here is a Job reference, I should be able to ask another client of a contractor on a private message, review of the contractor. Thats helps with the client sometimes not giving the right rating being afraid of being rated badly by the contractor. More if im looking for specifics that would really help. I do understand for most job it is not necessary but if I am hiring a contractor for more than 20 hours a week he is my part time employee. I would also prefer to see a contractor not working more than 10 hours day, just like any other job the productivity curve goes down if you take too many jobs or work too many hours. I would hope Odesk will look into it. One thing that really irritates me is if i mention the geography of a region why am i still getting people applying from other side of the planet. I really don't have time to look into all these applications. I would suggest instead of geography Odesk implements a timezone range that i can choose that people are willing to work in. that would help both the client and contractor.
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS