cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odesk Contractor Scam - Bill for Many Hours and Not Deliver any Work

Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
31 of 37
[quote=Ashiq T.]if I am hiring a contractor for more than 20 hours a week he is my part time employee. [/quote] I know I am getting back to this very late, but I am first reading this now, and... No, he is not. He is your part time employee when 1. You pay him at least the minimum wage for the country in which he is working. 2. You contribute to his social security pension. 3. You pay employment taxes for him.
Community Guru
Reynaldo M Member Since: Aug 4, 2012
32 of 37
[quote=Maurizio E.]BE VERY CAREFUL AND DON'T LET A FRAUDULENT SYSTEM TAKE VANTAGE OF YOU. ODESK PAYMENT GUARANTEE ALLOW ANY CONTRACTOR TO PUT THE AMOUNT OF HOUR THEY WANT FOR ANY REASON AND YOU MUST TO PAY.[/quote] Guess you still haven't read oDesk Policy on Manual time. oDesk has not, never nor have change its policy on Manual Time,It's not Guaranteed. Meaning, if a Freelancer failed to deliver agreed deliverable, either in view of quality or deadline, Clients are not obligated to Pay. And you don't need to do an ALL CAPS post! Members are not Deaf and Blind.
Jake B Member Since: Apr 1, 2015
33 of 37

Exact;y same way I have been getting scammed by contractors. 

The Work Diary of Odesk is useless since they allow the Contractor to be able to delete any screenshots that catch them in the act of not working (running the clock while doing non-work activities). 

If you complain to Odesk they forward you to a help page about how Work Diary helps you monitor the work activity of the Contractor, notice on this help page it doesnt mention anywhere to you the Client that the contractor can actually delete screenshots that have captured them defrauding you. 

The Work Diary is useless, unless the screen capturing was happening every 30 seconds AND contractor can not be able to delete screen shots. 

I have lost so much money, I mean $10,000 over last 5 months because of contractors scamming this. 

What are Odesk doing about it? Nothing. They are part of the fraud, fraud is good for Odesk, makes them more profits. 

Jake B Member Since: Apr 1, 2015
34 of 37

You can only dispute the hours by 5pm Friday, and the Contractors play this game as well, making excuses for delay in providing the work, or pretending the work was harder than expected and then asking for more hours, .....

They become adapt at scamming it. 

And also Odesk wont remove my payment history for everyone to see, I have paid out over $25000 over two years and it makes me a bigger target for these scammer rackets. 

What these rackets are doing is registering many accounts using their family and friends and then having these 20 IDs and organised office to run the racket. 

So you hire a freelancer for say $8/hr, but its really going to be $30 an hour by the time you get the work realised or if you get anything useful at all. 

Funny that Odesk dont care about fixing this. as it will mean losing profits. 

Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
36 of 37

@Jake B wrote:

Exact;y same way I have been getting scammed by contractors. 

The Work Diary of Odesk is useless since they allow the Contractor to be able to delete any screenshots that catch them in the act of not working (running the clock while doing non-work activities). 

If you complain to Odesk they forward you to a help page about how Work Diary helps you monitor the work activity of the Contractor, notice on this help page it doesnt mention anywhere to you the Client that the contractor can actually delete screenshots that have captured them defrauding you. 

The Work Diary is useless, unless the screen capturing was happening every 30 seconds AND contractor can not be able to delete screen shots. 

I have lost so much money, I mean $10,000 over last 5 months because of contractors scamming this. 

What are Odesk doing about it? Nothing. They are part of the fraud, fraud is good for Odesk, makes them more profits. 

If a contractor deletes non work activity from the work diary, it actually means you're not getting scammed because you're not paying for someone to update their Facebook status or write an email to their brother in law. Your demand to see screenshots every 30 seconds is a little ridiculous and is very telling of your "leadership" style. I am really sorry for your experience, and like just about everywhere, there are scamming freelancers and clients on this site too unfortunately, but how can you place all blame on the freelancer and oDesk, while taking zero responsibility over your own actions (or lack thereof) and letting it go on for five (!) months, when every Monday you got a whole 5 days from oDesk to review your freelancers past week activity? 

Fraud makes zero profits for oDesk. It's a reputation killer, and whatever is earned in supposedly fraudulent fees is spent three fold on support costs.

Michael A Member Since: Sep 30, 2015
36 of 37

I just want to share what i know.. Thanks how to report fraud user??

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
37 of 37

Hi Michael,

Please share all the relevant details directly with Support so we can review the case and take appropriate action.

Thank you.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS