cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odesk Issues

jobsonthego
Shaun F Member Since: Jun 11, 2013
1 of 8
Odesk Seem to be biased towards freelancers now anyone else having this problem? They won't guarantee on productivity or on work carried out and want clients to pay freelancers when they don't even finish simple tasks or complete a website. I am not sure what planet they are living on but that is not how a business operates at all. They pay out hourly payments to freelancers so if they do not finish the work or don't work hard they get paid anyway. We are now taking our business to another platform as odesk is starting to go down hill like many freelancer platforms do when its coming to the end. Making up stupid features like milestones as well is ridiculous so they want clients to give little jobs and not big ones like websites to build you create a milestone only for simple tasks be warned and do not pay out till they have completed the full job. Also ignore the " I am poor sir excuse all of them give " What they do not realize is without clients to pay the freelancers they would not have a business to run. Please post your problems about odesk below.
t-hall
Community Guru
Tony H Member Since: Nov 10, 2011
2 of 8
** ... you do realize it's YOUR job to manage your business and people you hire, not oDesk's right? You're not hiring oDesk staff... oDesk is connecting you with other small business owners just like you to exchange services. /PS They actually do guarantee some some freelancers. There is a huge purple banner that says "Guaranteed" on it, if you don't see one oDesk has not awarded them that privilege yet. Not everyone has it. However... it also comes with potential for misuse by overly zealous clients who blame the world for their own weaknesses. *Removed by admin
anne_ginger
Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
3 of 8

Without good freelancers, both you and oDesk will have no business at ALL.

Also, good freelancers knows how to protect themselves by asking for milestone and upfront payments.

People who are worth hiring won't waste time on a project with no assurance of getting paid. If someone is so desperate as to enslave himself/herself making a website or what ever big project you are hiring people for more than a month of work without even as much as 10% upfront or a consultation fee, then it means that freelancer is simply not worth hiring in the first place since he/she obviously have too much idle time on his/her hands to waste on worthless projects and wannabe clients.

I'm mostly a client here on oDesk by the way, so I'm not pro-freelancer. I'm pro-business and pro-fairness.

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
marciamalory
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
4 of 8
At one of my first jobs (brick and mortar), I was hired by someone who was new at managing. When I first started, she forgot to take care of some minor requirement that was needed to make sure I got paid at the end of the pay period. Her manager, the president of the company, found out and went ballistic on her, saying that if employees don't get paid, they have no reason to come to work, and the company will cease to exist. I ended up getting paid, wasn't a big deal for me, but the president's reaction is something I will never forget.
mistykeith
Community Guru
Misty K Member Since: Feb 5, 2012
5 of 8
I think you have it backwards. Without highly qualified professionals performing the job you obviously can't, you'd have no decent business to operate. Clients are important, but only if they respect their contractors and vice versa. Also, when it comes to milestone features, this isn't a DUMB addition, as you state. It protects contractors from being royally screwed by clients who don't want to pay up as they should. When you ask for a service you pay for it. When you go to the grocery store for a loaf of bread, you pay for it, correct? Well, each step in your project should be paid for as well. That's what milestone payments are for. You really should better learn better ways to manage your business and not blame it on those who you have working for you unless that is legitimate.
marciamalory
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
6 of 8
Do you realize that with the milestone system, the freelancer doesn't get any money until after the client approves the work? If you don't have enough money to pay for the work and leave as a deposit with oDesk, you shouldn't be hiring people. Honestly, would you work for someone if you found out they didn't have money to pay you?
g_nembhard
Community Guru
Gillian Michele N Member Since: Mar 15, 2012
7 of 8
Shaun, Milestones are necessary and not stupid at all. It's one of the best things oDesk could have done. I've lost count of the amount of freelancers who have mentioned that the client didn't pay after they'd worked. Who wants to work on a project that could potentially last a long time, and then the client decides not to pay at the end? You have to see things from the perspective of a freelancer. Also, you're talking as though clients are doing freelancers a favour. The client is the one in need really, because they need a freelancer to complete their project.
ileanatanase
Ileana T Member Since: Jun 1, 2009
8 of 8
Hello there, I am a freelancer, and yes, we are screwed by business owners often. You ask for that trust in advance, but how can we trust business owners who rush you to finish up their projects and then for almost two months it gives you excuses everyday saying that the main client didn't review the work and so on? Yes, I am in this situation, that is one of the reason I don't take fixed payment project, and I went on trust and good rating and reviews. Guess what I get, a big nothing. So leave the excuses, hire a Project Manager or a Hiring Manager and you will escape from problems. My advice: cut your losses while you still can. No one should work for free!
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS