Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One thing I find really silly...

ahammed_farid
Community Guru
Farid Ahammed B Member Since: May 30, 2016
11 of 18

That's so funny coming from you, when you still claim "fluent" English skills on your own profile.

You heard the old saying "Those who sit in glasshouses should not throw stones?"

Anyway, I am not into transalting jobs here, You have understood what I have written here. And I don's want to argue with you. Sometimes you can use one word, No need to write full sentence. I am learning and reading member'c writing, I participate also sometimes.

ahammed_farid
Community Guru
Farid Ahammed B Member Since: May 30, 2016
12 of 18

I have liked your quote which you have used to me. You know one thing as you are a translator so you will see everything in your perspective. Change your opinion towards people like me, I know you are a talented and perfectionist

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
13 of 18

@Farid Ahammed B wrote:

Am I the only one who's a tad bothered by this?

Not only you botherd by this, I think all we annoyed by this, if the freelancer's overview is full of ......., How I can expect good work from him or her

Just pay no attention to skills tests. Many of them are outdated enough not to mean anything, anyway, and being able to memorize information is far different from being able to execute it. Look at portfolio, past client ratings, talk to the freelancer.

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
14 of 18

@Farid Ahammed B wrote:

Am I the only one who's a tad bothered by this?

Lol :-)

Farid please, you have English: Fluent on your profile.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
a5407902
Regan T Member Since: Sep 5, 2016
15 of 18

These posts seem totally out of order for me. Anyway, may I suggest the Upwork developers think about including an IELTS field since this is a popular standard? People could post their overall IELTS band. This would have to be certified by scanning their results sheet of course. 

It would be a good thing for those in the writing category to take advantage of. 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
16 of 18

Regan:

Upwork already accepts IELTS or Toefel results, in addition to Duolingo, as methods for having your English language proficiency certified.

The reason you see us mention Duolingo more often than the other methods is that it is the least expensive and simplest to arrange for.

davidd1008
Community Leader
David D Member Since: Jun 8, 2016
17 of 18

If you pop over to the freelancer message board you'll see we deal with it over there too.

A lot of freelancers come on there asking why they're not getting hired and one of the first things we look at is their profile. Sure enough, a lot of them are stating they're fluent or native English speakers. 

It's just how people are. Not everyone thinks "fluent" means what... well, what it means. Some are outright lying and think they can get away with it, some think they know English well enough to get by, and some just don't know any better. 

It's a pain, and as freelancers, we don't like it either. We always tell these folks to stop misrepresenting themselves. Sometimes they listen. 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
18 of 18

I don't think they fool very many people.

It seems like most of the fakers don't even have the good sense to hire a native English speaker to polish the English on their profiles.

So when they claim to be fluent English speakers but everything on their profile says otherwise, it's kind of nice that they are so easily revealed.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS