🐈
» Forums » Clients » Only 50% of the results were useful
Page options
8271341b
Community Member

Only 50% of the results were useful

First time user of Upwork and posted a request for businesses in the Colorado area.  Upon reviewing the results this evening, I see that the contractor included businesses from outside the search area.  Those businesses made up about 50% of the results.  I assume that it would be valid to request a 50% refund for the unusable results?

2 REPLIES 2
prestonhunter
Community Member

I don't work for Upwork.

As a client, I have hired over 180 freelancers on Upwork. This is my opinion:

Refund thinking hurts clients.

Why do you want to do something that just hurts you and, in the long run, damages your ability to achieve your goals?

In theory, you probably could "request a refund."

But it's a bad idea to do so.

You will achieve more success and save time and money if you proactively decide to never request a refund, no matter what. This will help you to focus on effective freelancer management strategies. Instead of paying a bunch of money to underperforming freelancers and then TRYING to get some of that money back... It is better to monitor each freelancer's work, especially early on, and end the contract with any freelancer if you don't love their work.

A client named Sam hired freelancers to do EXACTLY the same sort of work you need done. He hired Abby, Betty, and Cindy. After each of them worked for one hour, he evaluated their work. He saw that Abby's work was only 50% valid. Betty's work was 95% valid. Cindy never did anything. The client fired Abby and Cindy and continued to work with Betty.

Also: I can assure you that it is not Upwork's intention that you request a refund from this freelancer. Getting money back by requesting a refund is a big gamble. Usually it doesn't work.

asajid
Community Member

Hi Ryan,

I would suggest you talk to your freelancer and explain your concerns to them. There's always room for improvement and maybe it was an honest mistake, you can ask them to redo the report and make sure it has only relevant businesses this time. Any decent person will definitely try to rectify their mistake. You don't need to pay for the revision and you can clearly state that. 
Refunds are no fun as Preston rightly pointed out, it hurts you and the freelancer. Give them one chance first, and communicate with them to sort out issues.

and Preston gave you the golden nugget here, I always suggest client to start with a 1-hour test hire, so that both parties can see if they are a good match. It rules out such issues.

Do talk to them once before making any decisions.

-

Ayesha

Always reach for the skies, for even if you fall, you'll still be on the top of the world...
Latest Articles
Learning Paths