🐈
» Forums » Clients » Options from problem freelancer?
Page options
096c5803
Community Member

Options from problem freelancer?

A freelancer told me they would have our contract complete within a week, including revisions. 

That week not only ended ten days ago, it took longer than a week to get them to understand that I wanted them to stop using my own drawings in their work. I asked and asked and asked them to stop using my drawings, and after asking the third time, they removed their own drawings from the work and made mine bigger.

I finally resent them pictures of my 3 drawings and said these. Stop using these. Then sent them pictures of their own drawings so they could understand which were mine and which were theirs. (there is no way for them to think they came up with MY drawings)

Now, here we are, ten days PAST the due date, so already over double the amount of time we agreed on, and when I ask for a change, the next day, they will make that one change, and it will not be the right change. Like, if I say the background is to be in browns and purples, then they submit blues and pinks. So I say browns and purples and not blues and pinks, and they submit something with purple and pink. 

Do I have any options? This is really absurd and I just hate every moment and actually want this project complete. I have no idea what this person's problem is.

5 REPLIES 5
AndreaG

Hi Rebecca,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I'm not sure which of your open contracts you're referring to but I can see they are both Fixed-Price with funds in Escrow. If you'd like to stop working with this freelancer, you certainly can. Feel free to end the contract at any time and, if you'd like to request the funds in Escrow to be refunded, you can do so. Check out this help article to learn how. 

~Andrea
Upwork
096c5803
Community Member

Things are moving now. I think it is going to be okay. Thanks. 

jeremiah-brown
Community Member

Did you hire someone from a different country where you and the freelancer may have a difference in language?

Try asking the freelancer where they are from.  You may have a language barrier to overcome.  If thats the case, use a free online translator to submit instructions in their native language.

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Options from problem freelancer?"

You may be more successful if you adopt this philosphy:
"There is no such thing as a problem freelancer. There are simply freelancers who are not a good fit for my project."

Then you don't need to decide if a freelancer is a problem or not. And you won't be tempted to "fix" the freelancer. You will instead put YOURSELF and your PROJECT first.

And if you don't love a freelancer's work, you simply end their contract and assign work to other members of the team.

re: "A freelancer told me they would have our contract complete within a week, including revisions."

It is not an individual freelancer's responsibility to make sure that work is done on time.

It is the project manager's responsibility.

When I need work done by a certain deadline, then I have two choices:

a) Hire a freelancer I have worked with before, who I know delivers the kind of work I need, and always does so on time.

[or]

b) Hire multiple freelancers, enough to hedge your bets.

I regularly hire artists on Upwork.

I always get the work finished on time.

Because I hire multiple freelancers using hourly contracts.

It is a "team project," even though they don't work directly with each other.
Once I have received the work that I need, i close all of the contracts.

Some freelancers get paid nothing, because they did no work. That is fair.

I DO NOT TRY to predict which freelancer will submit usable work on time.

Because it is impossible to predict.

Did YOU try to predict?

I don't do that.

If you don't love a freelancer's work, you're supposed to fire the freelancer and assign the task to other people on your team. You are not supposed to "endure" working with a freelancer if you don't love their work.

re: "Do I have any options?"

Yes.

You should have ended the contract a long time ago. And assigned the work to other members of the team.

re: "This is really absurd and I just hate every moment and actually want this project complete. I have no idea what this person's problem is."

re: "That week not only ended ten days ago, it took longer than a week to get them to understand that I wanted them to stop using my own drawings in their work. I asked and asked and asked them to stop using my drawings, and after asking the third time, they removed their own drawings from the work and made mine bigger. I finally resent them pictures of my 3 drawings and said these. Stop using these. Then sent them pictures of their own drawings so they could understand which were mine and which were theirs. (there is no way for them to think they came up with MY drawings) Now, here we are, ten days PAST the due date, so already over double the amount of time we agreed on, and when I ask for a change, the next day, they will make that one change, and it will not be the right change. Like, if I say the background is to be in browns and purples, then they submit blues and pinks. So I say browns and purples and not blues and pinks, and they submit something with purple and pink."

The behavior of the project manager or client in ths situation does not make any sense to me.

Why did the client continue working with this freelancer?

You need to master the art of saying "who cares?"

If I don't love a freelancer's work, I don't try to figure out the freelancer. I say "who cares?" and I assign the work to somebody else.

She's working again and what I want is the project in her art style. Your methods would not get me what I want, yet mine will. 

Latest Articles
Learning Paths