🐈
» Forums » Clients » Overcharged by Upwork
Page options
dd463464
Community Member

Overcharged by Upwork

Hi there,

I have a freelancer in hourly contract, I pay $9/hour, he submitted 4 hrs work and Upwork charged me 5hrs work instead. Why?
7 REPLIES 7
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Regina,

It looks like the freelancer logged 4 hours during the previous week and 5 hours during the week before. On Monday, you're invoiced for the previous week's hours based on your freelancers' Work Diaries. Your default billing method gets charged automatically. If there's an issue, you have until Friday to file a dispute. Click here to learn more about the weekly billing cycle.

Please let us know if you need any further assistance.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
c94a7070
Community Member

I feel very dissapointed with Upwork. Freelancers are overcharging for work.   A lot of them are so inexperienced and are chargeing way over the top.  I just posted an ad and asked for some help with minor things and someone said they wanted $60 an hour x 20 hours = #1200

Anothe siad $25 an hour and it will take 20 hours.  Thi is a 2 hour job, max.

So sad that this is happening and I refuse to be ripped off.

Linda, there are many kinds of freelancers on Upwork.

You are the one who decides who you hire.

As a client, I have hired over 100 freelancers on Upwork. Most of the time I have felt I was getting an excellent deal.

If you consistently feel like you are having trouble hiring freelancers, feel free to discuss your job posts with us in more detail. We may be able to help you improve your posts in a way that will help you attract the ideal freelancers for your particular needs.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Linda,

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you directly to help you to locate the right talent for your project.

Thank you for reaching out to us! 

~ Bojan
Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

Linda R wrote:

Thi is a 2 hour job, max.

With all due respect... How do you know that?

I keep seeing clients in my own category say "It'll be x hours work max" when I know fully well that even a fast freelancer will take a multiple of that.

Alternatively, you can use a fixed rate contract model and see if that works better to you.

tta192
Community Member

Linda R wrote:

I feel very dissapointed with Upwork. Freelancers are overcharging for work.   

[...]

Thi is a 2 hour job, max.

[...]

Your job post may be too vague or otherwise unclear about the scope, making freelancers think it's more complex than a 1-2 hour quick fix.

Or, you may be right about it being a two hour job... for the right person! Which means you need to find a freelancer with a very specific skill set. That person will probably charge a significantly higher rate, once you manage to find them and convince them to accept your job. That's where your history as a client comes into play: skilled freelancers will not work with clients having an unconvincing reputation.

lysis10
Community Member

Linda R wrote:

I feel very dissapointed with Upwork. Freelancers are overcharging for work.   A lot of them are so inexperienced and are chargeing way over the top.  I just posted an ad and asked for some help with minor things and someone said they wanted $60 an hour x 20 hours = #1200

Anothe siad $25 an hour and it will take 20 hours.  Thi is a 2 hour job, max.

So sad that this is happening and I refuse to be ripped off.

This does happen, but also we will way overestimate if we're unsure of the scope. It's better to give a high estimate and come under budget than tell the client it'll take like 2 hours and it actually takes 5. Some people will flip out over 30 mins over budget, so the smart thing to do is give a crazy high estimate to cover yourself.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths