🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Overpaid Freelance
Page options
61afe29d
Community Member

Overpaid Freelance

Hello there,

I encountered a problem in this platform. I hired someone to proofread one hour in Spanish and I end up paying more 100 dollars for it. I do agree that I didn't put it in fixed price but isn't that too big?

Best regards,

Equipe

3 REPLIES 3
jr-translation
Community Member

Equipe V wrote:

Hello there,

I encountered a problem in this platform. I hired someone to proofread one hour in Spanish and I end up paying more 100 dollars for it. I do agree that I didn't put it in fixed price but isn't that too big?

Best regards,

Equipe

$100 seems a lot for 1h proofreading but then it also depends on the amount of work.

If it was an hourly job you can check on the weekly report how long it took. Was the time tracked properly? What can you see on the screenshots. Read this article.

As a client, it is YOU who chooses the terms of a contract. If you don't like the terms, you don't need to hire a freelancer.

It is the CLIENT who decides how many hours a freelancer may work each week. A client may set a maximum number of ONLY ONE HOUR. And then there is no way for a freelancer to bill more than that during a week.

A client may review the work submitted by a freelancer and decide for himself whether or not that freelancer's work is worth continuing to pay for.

The client may decide to close the contract at any time.

The client may review the screenshots/work diary at any time.

The client may see what a freelancer's hourly rate is, and the client may choose to hire freelancers with a lower rate. Or a higher rate.

I am very sorry if the original poster had a bad experience paying more than he had planned to pay for a proofreading task ($100).

But the truth is that Upwork clients have almost unlimited freedom in how they set up their contracts, and they have extensive tools at their disposal. If the original poster has specific questions about how to use the available options, they can ask their questions here and we will answer them.

If it was an hourly contract...did you check the freelancer's hourly rate before hiring them?

Latest Articles
Learning Paths