🐈
» Forums » Clients » Overpayment to Freelancer
Page options
kagtating
Community Member

Overpayment to Freelancer

I accidentally overpaid my freelancer. Is it possible to get a refund?

2 REPLIES 2
PradeepH

Hello Krystel,

I see that you reached our support team already through chat and you have been educated on how you can request a refund on the contract. You can refer to this Help page for more information. Feel free to message us if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Pradeep H.

Upwork
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I accidentally overpaid my freelancer. Is it possible to get a refund?"

Yes.

And here is how to do that:

Send a message to the freelancer asking them to issue a refund.

For example, if the overpayment was due to an error you made when sending a bonus payment, then send a messge to the freelancer:

"Harriet:

I am sorry to bother you about this, but I need your help. I accidentally send a $200 bonus payment to you. I meant to send a $20 bonus. Could you please use your freelancer-side Refund tool to send me $180? That way the net amount you receive will be correct. Thank you!"

=====

If you overpaid because you funded a milestone payment in escrow, but you no longer need the task done, then you can send a message explaining this, while asking the freelancer to NOT do the work on that task, and asking her to agree to a refund request. Then you can close the contract, edit the amount of money that is to be released by changing it to zero (or any lower amount than the total in escrow). This will cause a refund request to be generated AUTOMATICALLY.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths