🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Paid in wrong currency
Page options
4e2a2f4e
Community Member

Paid in wrong currency

Hello,

I am in Australia and posted my first job with a fixed price of $100. I didn't see any currency specified in any of the screens and assumed it was Australian Dollars.

I reached out to one of the freelancers who'd given a proposal for $150, still assuming it was Australian dollars.

The freelancer and I started discussing the parameters of the job and in the process he provided work by private message. All before I had accepted his offer.

When it came to 'hire' this freelancer and accept his offer Upwork charged me in US Dollars. An amount which was nearly double what I was expecting due to exchange rate conversion. I was shocked! Nowhere throughout the process on any screen had it said US Dollars.

I changed my offer to the equiavalent AUD amount of $150 in line with my expectations.

The freelancer is now upset that he isn't getting paid what he expected. I am upset that I was grossly overcharged and honestly can't afford that amount for the project.

I went to take this up with Upwork directly but can't find any person to help. I feel I was misled by the currency not being made clear by Upwork.

Can anyone give advice on how to go about this?

4 REPLIES 4
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Michelle,

I`m sorry about the inconvenience this had caused you. 
I would like to confirm that everything on Upwork is shown in US dollars. One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further with your freelancer. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
tta192
Community Member

Did you explain the situation to the freelancer? the ethical thing for him to do is to accept your offer, because he knew your location when bidding so it was evident you were dealing in AUD.

4e2a2f4e
Community Member

Yes I explained the situation to the freelancer.

He is upset because he already submitted work to me via private message,
before I had formally accepted his offer and 'Hired' him on upwork.

So it was his understanding he would be getting USD 150 for it. My
understanding was that he would be getting AUD 150. He is accusing me of
low balling him
tta192
Community Member

Michelle, I was being sarcastic in my previous message but actually the situation is more serious than I thought. You already received the work from the freelancer, which means both of you were wrong.

Your mistake: No, you were not misled by anyone. Had you read the instructions it would have been very clear all transactions are in USD. It may have been an honest mistake, but you should take responsibility for it. Your assumption was unreasonable.

The freelancer's mistake: But the freelancer was (at least) just as negligent by delivering work without an active contract in place. In fact, he may have done that on purpose to avoid negative feedback, which is why it's prohibited by the TOS. This could get his account suspended, and yours as well!

The best thing for both of you now is to just split the difference and maybe pay ~100USD. None of you should bring it up with Upwork support.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths