🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Paid over 2300$ and didn't receive anythi...
Page options
Community Member

Paid over 2300$ and didn't receive anything!

Hello Upwork Community,

for my latest project I hired german freelance programmer **Edited for Community Guidelines**. Since I'm from germany myself I thought it would make sense to hire a fellow german. We negotiated and talked about the project (**Edited for Community Guidelines**) and ultimately came to an agreement and started an hour based contract.

Kristin started to work on the project almost daily which I could monitor in the work diary. She told me that she's currently in Africa ( visiting her boyfriend **Edited for Community Guidelines**who is also a game developer with a huge youtube channel **Edited for Community Guidelines** and was facing power breakdowns which led to me not hearing anything from her for days, which I wasn't too concerned about.

After a couple of weeks she had made progress with the project and I decided that it's time for her to commit some code to me and start a prototype test.

Then suddenly from one day to another she just wouldn't answer to my mails or messages on telegram. Nothing. After not getting any answer whatsoever I paused the contract. Since then I haven't heard a single word from her - however she remains very active on her youtube channel and twitter profile.

I requested to get my money paid back on upwork but nothing happened. If anyone has an idea of what I should do now please let me know.

Here are some of her public profiles:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

4 REPLIES 4
versailles
Community Member

Patrick, your post will be edited since it is not allowed to disclose names and profiles here, but I can see that the profile has already been zapped by Upwork. My bet is that it was a fake profile from a scammer, but it may be something different.

If you have worked under an hourly contract, there is very little that you can do if the person who worked complied with the hourly protection program, which is using the time tracker and filling relevant notes every now and then. If they didn't, it's a different story. 

The reason is that when you have someone working on hourly contracts, you pay for their time and not for specific deliverables.

Now, once the working week is done, you have one week to check the work and to dispute it. Do this if you haven't already.

When working on hourly contracts, especially at the beginning of a working relationship, you need to make sure that they send you their work on a regular basis. This being a developing job, you should have set up your own server or requested the person to send source code let’s say every day. By doing this, you can make sure that you are not paying them for nothing and if this is the case, you can close the contract immediately. 

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Hello Rene,

thanks for your quick answer - you definitly have some valid points. What do you mean by "the profile has already been zapped by Upwork"? 

Also, it's definitly not a fake profile - it's definitly her.

Patrick R wrote:

Hello Rene,

thanks for your quick answer - you definitly have some valid points. What do you mean by "the profile has already been zapped by Upwork"? 

Also, it's definitly not a fake profile - it's definitly her.

When I clicked on the profile, it wasn't available anymore. By experience I know that the error message I got is what happens when they suspend a profile. I think they are having a look at it.

If it's not a fake profile, then it's a scammer.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Patrick,

I`m sorry to hear about the bad experience you had with your freelancer.
One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further. You can access your tickets on this Link, thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths