🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Partial payment of milestone. Is it still...
Page options
e0f0f6b1
Community Member

Partial payment of milestone. Is it still possible?

Hello, is it still possible to pay only part of a milestone? If I click on "Pay" on a milestone will I get the option the define the actual sum to pay or I will immediately release the entire amount?

Is this answer still valid?

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
prestonhunter
Community Member

Yes. You may pay ANY amount.

Full amount.

Double.

Triple.

Half.

One dollar.

Zero.

Anything.

When you click to pay, you may edit amount.

If you want to pay less than the full amount of the milestone, the freelancer will be asked to confirm.

thanks a lot!!

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Francesco, 

When you release a milestone payment to a freelancer, you have the option of releasing more or less than the full amount. You may read more about it here.

~ Avery
Upwork
e0f0f6b1
Community Member

I'm sorry but this information doesn't seem to apply to my case. I don't have a button "Review & Pay". I have a "Pay" button and after I click it I cannot edit the sum to release. I can only click on "Pay".Screen Shot 2019-12-06 at 8.18.54 am.pngScreen Shot 2019-12-06 at 8.18.34 am.png

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Francesco, 

Once you're in your Contract room, please select the ''Milestones & Payments'' tab, then click on the ''Review & Pay'' button. There, under the Payment section, click on the ''Approve & Pay'' button which will open the pop-up window for you where you can use the pencil icon to edit the amount you'd like to release to freelancer. 

I hope this helped.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

This thread is pretty old, but I hope it is still active.  I just requested a partial payment from my client of a milestone.  If the partial payment is approved, can I, at a later date, submit for another payment under the same milestone? If not, what would be the next step towards continuing to recieve payment?  The problem is, only the money is locked up into a single milestone, even though payment occurs weekly.  Thank you.

Hi Alex,

Thank you for your message.

Please note that you can only request payment once on an active milestone. Once the client approves your partial payment, your active milestone will be closed. The client will have to create another milestone to process the next payment. They will be able to use the remaining balance from the previous milestone while creating a new milestone. 

Thank you.

Pradeep

Upwork
a99720de
Community Member

Thank you! just the answer what I looking for 

catarina-design
Community Member

Well that is silly, it should give an option to receive partial payments under active milestone. If I didn't bill the whole amount in escrow than it should continue open unless both (client and freelancer) agree in closing it for a lesser amount. 

re: "Well that is silly, it should give an option to receive partial payments under active milestone. If I didn't bill the whole amount in escrow than it should continue open unless both (client and freelancer) agree in closing it for a lesser amount. "

Isn't that exactly how it already works?

A freelancer can already click the Submit button while asking for only a PARTIAL payment. A freelancer does not need to request the full amount. An client can manually edit the amount to release only a partial payment.

If a freelancer requests only a partial payment, then the contract remains open.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths