cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pausing an account

Bhupendra S Member Since: Sep 25, 2017
1 of 5
Hi. I have agreed a fixed price with a feelancer of $1,600. It was agreed that he would charge hourly and would stop putting for hours after his billing hit $1,600. The project is now 2 weeks old and due to be completed by 4. Is this a common way of agreeing to complete a project? Thanks
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 5

Hi Bhupendra,

While this happens, it's not common. Many clients and freelancers choose to use fixed-price when they have a set budget and well-defined final product while hourly contracts are typically used for on-going projects. You can however, pause your hourly contract anytime.  

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 5

Mixing the fixed-price and hourly contact models together like this USUALLY ends in disaster.

Maybe you are the exception. I don't know.

I can not imagine any competent project manager who would let you do something like this, though. They would tell you that this sort of stunt will almost certainly derail the project timeline and blow up the budget.

At this point my advice to you is to monitor the project deliverables closely and stay in frequent contact with us in the Forum, where we can offer some objective advice.

Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
4 of 5

If you have a fixed price why didn't you set it up as fixed price? There is nothing to stop the freelancer continuing to bill hours after $1,600, and if they do then Upwork can't help you. If you have a fixed price it's far safer to set up the contract as a fixed price contract.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 5

The flip side of the coin is this:

After the freelancer bills $1,600, if he then stops logging time...

Then it would seem that the freelancer would have little reason to do any more work on the project.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS