🐈
» Forums » Clients » Pay Freelance every Week/Month
Page options
naseer_usman
Community Member

Pay Freelance every Week/Month

I have hired a freelancer and want to work with the freelancer for long term. I would like to pay weekly or monthly but for this I have to create milestones. Is their a way I can pay them without creating milestones or a better way.
Note: We do not want to go for hourly base contract.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Usman N wrote:

I have hired a freelancer and want to work with the freelancer for long term. I would like to pay weekly or monthly but for this I have to create milestones. Is their a way I can pay them without creating milestones or a better way.

You can. Yes, it's using an hourly contract, but with a twist.

• Set up an hourly contract
  • Set the weekly limit to 0 hours (so you are not charged anything other than the weekly salary)
  • Go to Advanced options
  • enter the weekly salary
  • Carry on as usual to create the offer.

weekly payment.png

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29
petra_r
Community Member

Usman N wrote:

You can. Yes, it's using an hourly contract, but with a twist.

• Set up an hourly contract
  • Set the weekly limit to 0 hours (so you are not charged anything other than the weekly salary)
  • Go to Advanced options
  • enter the weekly salary
  • Carry on as usual to create the offer.

weekly payment.png

Will i still need to log time to get weekly payments?

Hi Usman,

When a weekly payment is set the freelancer will receive the funds even if they haven't tracked any hours. If the freelancers have tracked their time they will be paid for the hours they have worked and the amount that was set as a Weekly payment will be transferred to them as well. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thank you Goran

Hello, I have seen your reply and this is what I am really looking for a solution because my clients wants a weekly payment as she didn't want an hourly contract. To clarify, the weekly payment basis.  It means that I can still received funds each WEEK even tho I didn't track time. Right?

d7020827
Community Member

Hi, Thank you petra, I currently have an hourly contract with my client, moving forward, me and my client agreed to have a weekly recurring payment instead of hourly payment. I refer him to this post, and changed the contract to have log hours to 0 and weekly payments to x$ amount. The problem is I can see the weekly limit has change from 20 hours to 0 hours and it will take effect from Monday but I cannot see anywhere that he has setup a weekly payment. How can I verify that he has setup the weekly payment for me

Hi Hassan,

Thank you for your message. Go to the 'All Contracts' page, click the job title you are referring to and click the 'Terms and Settings' tab. Your weekly payment will be listed under the Weekly payment option. Check out this help page for more information.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Usman,

To learn more about the difference between fixed price and hourly contracts, you can check out this Help Article

You can also follow the instructions Petra shared in her posts and set up Weekly Payments on your contracts. To learn more about this, check out this Help Article. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
subodhsri2
Community Member

This feature is really hidden from plain sight. One of my cleints wanted to setup weekly payments and I had a hard time showing him how to do it. Finally, figured it.

Any plan for Upwork to make it more clear?  

ec5f9b4f
Community Member

Hi, can I make the weekly payment as a freelancer? or only the hiring account can make that?

Hi Chezca,

Yes, you can create a client profile for your account in order to hire freelancers. Learn how here.

~Andrea
Upwork
ec5f9b4f
Community Member

Hello, I wanted to know if I can propose an automatic weekly payment to my client since she agreed to have one. Can I create a contract my self (as a freelancer) for a weekly payment for my client? because she's requesting me to have one so we don't need to create another milestone every week

re: "I wanted to know if I can propose an automatic weekly payment to my client since she agreed to have one."

There is no button that you can click that will automatically propose an automatic weekly payment.

You may, however, discuss the matter via Upwork Messages or using whatever method you use to communicate.

re: "Can I create a contract my self (as a freelancer) for a weekly payment for my client?"

No. The Upwork user interface doesn't have a way for you to do that.

re: "because she's requesting me to have one so we don't need to create another milestone every week."

What needs to happen is that she needs to close your current contract and create a NEW hourly contract. When she creates that contract, she needs to click an "additional options" button that lets her specify the automatic weekly payment. After she creates the contract, she may set the maximum number of hours allowed per week to zero, if she wants to prevent you from logging time in addition to receiving the automatic weekly payment.

Very helpful. Thank you so much!

ahtishamdogar
Community Member

What's wrong in creating miles stones?

re: "What's wrong in creating milesstones?"

There is nothing "wrong" with creating milestones.

But creating milestones is only one available option.

There are OTHER options available which may be a better fit for helping people accomplish their goals:

- hourly contract

- automatic weekly payments

- payment via bonuses

Hi one more question. So this is an hourly contract but with a twist.

How do I make sure that I will be paid for the work I've done. Since I am not able to use hourly tracker for this. 

Is manually adding time works for this "automatic weekly payment"

re: "So this is an hourly contract but with a twist."

Yes.

re: "How do I make sure that I will be paid for the work I've done?"

You get paid automatically for the time that you log, as long as the hourly contract allows you to log hours.

re: "Since I am not able to use hourly tracker for this."

You ARE allowed to use hourly tracker. So you get paid for your time.

Or you are NOT allowed to use hourly tracker to log paid hours. In which case you do NOT get paid for your time.

Either way, it is YOUR choice.

re: "Is manually adding time works for this "automatic weekly payment""

Yes. IT works. Or it does not work. It depends on what you agree to. It is YOUR choice.

This is what Mr. goran says.

When a weekly payment is set the freelancer will receive the funds even if they haven't tracked any hours. If the freelancers have tracked their time they will be paid for the hours they have worked and the amount that was set as a Weekly payment will be transferred to them as well. 

- because tracking for the hours of work is another invoiced for the client.

-It means that I will still get paid even I haven't track time? correct?

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Chezca Mae, 

It doesn't look like you have any hourly contract with a Weekly Payment. Are you referring to a specific contract? If so, do you mind sharing the contract ID you're referring to so I can check this for you? 

~ Avery
Upwork
ec5f9b4f
Community Member

my client just created it now. may you please check it?

Hi Chezca Mae, 

Thank you for following up. I checked and it looks like you now have an active contract with Weekly Payment.

~ Nikola
Upwork
ec5f9b4f
Community Member

Hi Nikola,

Just a question, will upwork invoice my client for the weekly payment? and also will I get notify once my client paid for the weekly payment? 

Attached is the screenshot for your reference. Thank you

ec5f9b4f
Community Member

I will not be using hourly tracker since my client doesn't want that. I will still get paid even tho I didn't track time using hourly and manually? right?

re: "I will not be using hourly tracker since my client doesn't want that. I will still get paid even tho I didn't track time using hourly and manually? right?"

That's right.

Your understanding of how the automated weekly payments work is correct.

A freelancer with automated weekly payments set up on their contract will still get paid even though they do not use the hourly time-tracker application or manually logged time.

that is clear now. thank you!

Hi again. Just a question, will upwork invoice the client for the weekly payment? will upwork also notify me when my client paid for this?

Attached is the screenshot for your reference

Hi Chezca,

A weekly payment is an automatic, recurring payment for the agreed amount with the client. The client will be invoiced this amount each week in addition to the billable hours in your Work Diary. Unlike the hours you bill in your Work Diary, weekly payments do not undergo a review period, and they become available after the standard five-day security period. You can refer to the Report page.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

It's a huge freaking hassle if you have to do it every week just to make a payment that is always the same.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths